Official BYC Poll: Why Do You Have Chickens?

Why do you raise chickens?

• Pets

Votes: 808 77.4%
  • Eggs

Votes: 926 88.7%
  • Meat

Votes: 205 19.6%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 315 30.2%
  • Pest Control

Votes: 293 28.1%
  • Exhibition

Votes: 79 7.6%
  • For Resale

Votes: 98 9.4%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 109 10.4%

• Total voters
SO.... Eggs (which I both eat and sell). Boys become meat. I hatch my own, which I am licensed to sell (though not actively doing so at the moment), as I work on improving my stock. The droppings provide fertilizer to improve my clay soils. ...and once I have birds worthy of it (and its safe to do so), I will exhibit. Not because I want to, but rather to improve my sales and help develop a local reputation. Incidentally, they have absolutely collapsed the population of creepy crawlies on the portion of my acres where i spend most of my time.

BYC has an incredible array of members that keep chickens for many different purposes. Which of the options on the poll apply to you? Select as many as apply, and if you have reasons that aren't on the list, reply below outlining them.

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I wanted my grandchildren to raise and love something that also gives them food. I've taught them how to garden, how to find edible plants, they needed the farming experience. I want them to be able to be efficient and make food from scratch.
This year they grew pumpkins in the garden and we made bread and pies from their fruit.
Every year we add a new thing to learn about being self sufficient. Learning to live off the land.
This year they will make fertilizer from chicken droppings and compost for their garden.
They will learn to make candles and herbal tea. We just keep adding to their education with things we find important or necessary but that continual.
We no longer live in the country. 😥 So chickens were about all we could think of for then to raise in the suburbs.
I think it teaches many lessons and they are quite enjoyable and rewarding. The oldest is 12 and he's totally devoted. The youngsters are girls ages 5 and 6 and love to feed and collect eggs. I just think it's important for them to know these things.
Whew that was long winded! 😂

So, to explain my “other” vote besides eggs and fertilizer, it started as a project for the kids and me. I was on the road working and never saw my family. On the weekends that I did come home, everyone was holed up in their room doing their own thing. With my wife’s reluctant approval we started building a chicken coop together. It took a couple years to get finished with me being gone but it was quality time with family not staring at some type of screen all the time. Since we got our happy hens it’s also been a source of teaching responsibility for my two teens. One keeps the coop clean and the other makes sure there’s plenty of food and water. I honestly can’t imagine life without the rotten little cluckers now!
A good father you are!

It’s a great way to limit screen time.

I wanted my grandchildren to raise and love something that also gives them food. I've taught them how to garden, how to find edible plants, they needed the farming experience. I want them to be able to be efficient and make food from scratch.
This year they grew pumpkins in the garden and we made bread and pies from their fruit.
Every year we add a new thing to learn about being self sufficient. Learning to live off the land.
This year they will make fertilizer from chicken droppings and compost for their garden.
They will learn to make candles and herbal tea. We just keep adding to their education with things we find important or necessary but that continual.
We no longer live in the country. 😥 So chickens were about all we could think of for then to raise in the suburbs.
I think it teaches many lessons and they are quite enjoyable and rewarding. The oldest is 12 and he's totally devoted. The youngsters are girls ages 5 and 6 and love to feed and collect eggs. I just think it's important for them to know these things.
Whew that was long winded! 😂
This is a wonderful reason! :hugs You have taught them well!

I’d loved to have learned to do all that, I never got the chance though.
I know how to garden and take care of animals, but that’s it farming wise. :rolleyes:

Is candle making hard, I’d love to try it one day, that and making herbal teas! :D

BYC has an incredible array of members that keep chickens for many different purposes. Which of the options on the poll apply to you? Select as many as apply, and if you have reasons that aren't on the list, reply below outlining them.

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
Raising chickens (again) began with wanting fresh eggs and meat. Hubby had nothing to do with them before, but now, they are like his children with feathers! The ones he really loves are the Cornish X. He has his favorite hen and rooster - I have instructions NOT to put either one in the freezer! Both of us really love the birds with their lovely colors and distinctly different personalities. Having them became another interest we share, even after 41 years.

This is a wonderful reason! :hugs You have taught them well!

I’d loved to have learned to do all that, I never got the chance though.
I know how to garden and take care of animals, but that’s it farming wise. :rolleyes:

Is candle making hard, I’d love to try it one day, that and making herbal teas! :D
Candle making can be messy and you have to be careful with the hot wax. I'm going to teach them to dip tapers and if you have an old crock pot you can take wax and melt it in the Crock-Pot I usually use a small dowel rod that's long enough to hit the edges on either side and tie the wick said dow rod. Dip into the wax slowly and smoothly or your tapers will get bumpy. You also need another rack or area with wax paper under to catch the dripping wax but you need a place to hang the dowel rod so the candles can harden. I also have a machine my kids bought me years ago that melts the wax and pours it into votive or pillar molds. I'm going to have to dig that out. Lol
The teas are easy you just grow the herbs you want to use for them and you can use just about anything to soak them in hot water from cheesecloth to the tea strainers they have. I found a place on eBay years ago where I could buy tea bags that are empty which are very nice for making gifts.

Back
Top Bottom