Official BYC Poll: Why Do You Have Chickens?

Why do you raise chickens?

• Pets

Votes: 808 77.4%
  • Eggs

Votes: 926 88.7%
  • Meat

Votes: 205 19.6%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 315 30.2%
  • Pest Control

Votes: 293 28.1%
  • Exhibition

Votes: 79 7.6%
  • For Resale

Votes: 98 9.4%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 109 10.4%

• Total voters
This is a wonderful reason! :hugs You have taught them well!

I’d loved to have learned to do all that, I never got the chance though.
I know how to garden and take care of animals, but that’s it farming wise. :rolleyes:

Is candle making hard, I’d love to try it one day, that and making herbal teas! :D
Oh and thank you!

Candle making can be messy and you have to be careful with the hot wax. I'm going to teach them to dip tapers and if you have an old crock pot you can take wax and melt it in the Crock-Pot I usually use a small dowel rod that's long enough to hit the edges on either side and tie the wick said dow rod. Dip into the wax slowly and smoothly or your tapers will get bumpy. You also need another rack or area with wax paper under to catch the dripping wax but you need a place to hang the dowel rod so the candles can harden. I also have a machine my kids bought me years ago that melts the wax and pours it into votive or pillar molds. I'm going to have to dig that out. Lol
The teas are easy you just grow the herbs you want to use for them and you can use just about anything to soak them in hot water from cheesecloth to the tea strainers they have. I found a place on eBay years ago where I could buy tea bags that are empty which are very nice for making gifts.
Amazing, thank you so much!

happy-new.gif

I really like having fresh eggs and knowing exactly what I feed my girls to get those eggs. Second - I just enjoy being with my girls. It's fun to watch their individual personalities develop and I find it soothing and relaxing to just go out to our coop/run and piddle around with things.

Back
Top Bottom