Ended Official BYC Valentine Puns Contest Series - Wattle I Do Without You? Photo Contest

Pics
Entry #1

April 6 2020.JPG

My one and only . This is Blackie. She's an Old English Game Hen Bantam. She just came up to the chicken coop one day almost 5 years ago and wanted in so we adopted her. No regrets. We love her so much.

2 years ago, one warm Spring evening, my hubby came home from work and phoned me from the driveway. Said he had a surprise for me. As I walked out to his car, I could see movement on his lap and thought he must a have found a stray dog. Nope. In his lap sat a smallish, bedraggled looking pullet! He had noticed her in a ditch not far from our house, and knowing nobody near us raises chickens, he stopped the car. When he stooped down and spoke, she came right to him and in the car she sat calmly on his thigh.
A few weeks later, she had plumped up and smoothed out and started laying light blue eggs daily.
Carol is quiet and shy. She spent the first summer perched on various roosts and trying to avoid every other hen. She was at the bottom of the order and bullied. The bullies were moved to another coop and slowly she came into her own and is now the head honcho but is never mean to any others.
Carol will sit on my lap or perch on my shoulder at times and croons softly. I have no idea where she came from but I'm so happy she is here. I love her.
IMG_20200413_134152~2.jpg

2 years ago, one warm Spring evening, my hubby came home from work and phoned me from the driveway. Said he had a surprise for me. As I walked out to his car, I could see movement on his lap and thought he must a have found a stray dog. Nope. In his lap sat a smallish, bedraggled looking pullet! He had noticed her in a ditch not far from our house, and knowing nobody near us raises chickens, he stopped the car. When he stooped down and spoke, she came right to him and in the car she sat calmly on his thigh.
A few weeks later, she had plumped up and smoothed out and started laying light blue eggs daily.
Carol is quiet and shy. She spent the first summer perched on various roosts and trying to avoid every other hen. She was at the bottom of the order and bullied. The bullies were moved to another coop and slowly she came into her own and is now the head honcho but is never mean to any others.
Carol will sit on my lap or perch on my shoulder at times and croons softly. I have no idea where she came from but I'm so happy she is here. I love her.

That's so sweet! She knew he was going to help her and now look how beautiful she is!

This is Becky. My 10 month old Silver Lace Polish. She is too funny. She wonders around as if she's lost. Then suddenly remembers where she's going! I couldn't figure her out. So, one day I pulled her inside and pulled her feathers up with a hair tie. She ran around liberated with her new found sight!!! Now, she sports a new Up do and Living life.
She will run up to me when she needs her feathers trimmed. Lol
(Yes, I do trim her feathers around her face).
I love her so much and she lays small-medium white eggs for my basket.
FB_IMG_1603907287989.jpg
FB_IMG_1603907283056.jpg

Entree #1
This is my girl Lula! She (and her sister Pudding) are my first ornamental breed. I usually just raise productive layers, but don’t we all know how raising chickens goes! The breed caught my eye, and soon I was bringing them home just a week after Valentine’s Day last year! She had the largest crest of them all, and she is also the sweetest! Both her and her sister come when I call, and when I holler their names they squawk back!
1EA55E5A-2581-40B6-9420-51EE0BAF8D38.jpeg

Last edited:
Entree #2
This is Lula’s sister, Pudding! Pudding is Lula’s eyes. They can’t live without each other! Pudding will attack anything that moves, and whenever she can’t see her sister she will squawk extremely loud until Lula comes running. She also helps find food for Lula, acting almost like a rooster at times. She is super sweet to me, but not to sweet to other strangers😂. I don’t know what I’d do without my Lula and Pudding! They are my greatest Valentine’s Day present I’ve ever gotten!
1CBF5A3A-E123-4A29-92F3-EA75700AB07C.jpeg

1F8A28D2-5A59-4C11-B852-6ADF91D072A8.jpeg

Please meet Baby G
He’s my baby boy. I hatched him from an egg and gave him 24 hour care for three days because he was weak and could not be around his siblings without getting stepped on.
He survived and became the “runt” of the brood.
He only has one wattle and some serious beak/eye coordination issues because he can’t ever peck straight, that’s why he loves to eat from bags and containers. He loves the flock, is kind, friendly and the only one who lets me pick him up.
I will always love this guy!

View attachment 2526346
Please meet Baby G
He’s my baby boy. I hatched him from an egg and gave him 24 hour care for three days because he was weak and could not be around his siblings without getting stepped on.
He survived and became the “runt” of the brood.
He only has one wattle and some serious beak/eye coordination issues because he can’t ever peck straight, that’s why he loves to eat from bags and containers. He loves the flock, is kind, friendly and the only one who lets me pick him up.
I will always love this guy!
I have a developmentally challenged boy too. He hatched under a hen in a nest of 6. He and his brother survived but the brother was normal so Mushy Boy got left behind. I didn't raise him, a second hen who hatched chicks a week later let him join her & her little flock. He limps, sleeps on a low roost, can't mount the girls, sorta kinda crows but he is still here 7 months later. His "sister" loves him, she lays her eggs beside him no matter where he is. Don't tell me chickens don't love other chickens.
Not an entry:
His sister laying her egg. (His head is under the feeder.)
20210201_110323.jpg

Mushy himself:
20210211_153004.jpg

Back
Top Bottom