Official Christmas Hatch! c'mon and join

I'm in for a Christmas hatch. Set 21 last night of Buff Orphingtons, Barred Rock and RIR's Hoping for a decent fertility rate.
This is my second hatch and had a 90% hatch rate the first time. One of the first batch was not fertile but the other nine all hatched,
had to assist one of those out on day 23 and she did fine. Took a couple days to finally stand up and walk though.

The next hatch is going to be in a homade bator, I have the plans for that a figured out and am looking forward to building it.
I just wish there was a way to encourage them to hatch as a hens, got six out of nine roo's last time.

welcome-byc.gif

yee! you'll be hatchin' along with me!

Quote:
My husband, an engineer, insists that the eggs should be close to 50% male and 50% female, with only minor fluctuations toward male. In one hatch, 20 out of 24 hatched, and only 2 were female.
sad.png
When I asked him again about the expected averages, he said I must have set the thermostat to rooster. That's the way engineers say they don't really know the answer.

Finally got my eggs Polish bantams 6 of em. Im setting them tonight so I guess I may be a day after Xmas hatch.

I've got other eggs set 7 Ameracauna bantams, and 7 MF, & self blue D'uccle, these will hatch before Xmas.

Quote:
I have a turken. There's nothing wrong with them. Just watch introducing them into the general chicken population. Some chickens will pick on it, think it's wounded. (Note: I used to have two turken...) I'm hoping that it and my polish x cochin are opposite genders and I wind up hatching a wild punk rock chicken next year.

(Yes, sometimes I think like a six year old. But really, wouldn't it be cool???)

On day 23, it looks like no new chickies for me. It's also 21*F outside. I set up the ice cream maker with no ice in it, for kicks.

Quote:
I have a turken. There's nothing wrong with them. Just watch introducing them into the general chicken population. Some chickens will pick on it, think it's wounded. (Note: I used to have two turken...) I'm hoping that it and my polish x cochin are opposite genders and I wind up hatching a wild punk rock chicken next year.

(Yes, sometimes I think like a six year old. But really, wouldn't it be cool???)

On day 23, it looks like no new chickies for me. It's also 21*F outside. I set up the ice cream maker with no ice in it, for kicks.

i know there's nothing wrong with them.. they just give me the willies.. like a hairless guinea pig.. lol...
did you read about my handicapped rooster i adopted?? chickens didn't notice anything was srong with him.. but the peahens sure did... was constantly breaking up fights between Loony and Pergus... loony is the peahen.. pyrgus is the new roo... but if they took him in.. and let him become alpha roo... they'll probly take in the turken too.. lol.. it's mixed w/ an ameracauna so it may or may not be nacked... lol... time will tell...

I prolly would join but i dont have an incubator and i doubt that one of my hens will go broody at the time, ones broody right at this moment
smile.png

Who else sits up at night watching the incubator? Im up and eating..ugh, should quit snacking, and watching my thermometer between cycles. It's unwavering unless I open to turn eggs! I am so pleased with myself. Plus it's really windy tonight and I can't sleep..

44235_pc060073.jpg

The candled ones are on the extreme left, they are all light brown. Mostly from an australorp and a ee hen, they are the only two I think are laying. the seven on them have veins!! and mass! I put in 15 extra eggs because I thought none of mine were doing anything, so it will be a staggered hatch. Thought about putting the lockdowns in a shoebox lid to keep them from moving when I turn the rest. I know i risk the humidity and heat, hopefully the hatchlings may kick the others around a bit? Anyway, my bad. I hope it works well, perhaps I shoud get another bator ready and move lockdowns into it.

Back
Top Bottom