Official Christmas Hatch! c'mon and join

Ok, I am officially IN. I set 38 MFD eggs from bantyrooster. 32 fit in the Brinsea and the extra six are in the Hovabator. If I have any quitters I can upgrade their accommodations to the Brinsea! I also moved the incubators upstairs into my laundry. I can't take another three weeks with them running on my desk. Plus, I have seven little peepers in the brooder in my office and that's enough noise! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
D.gif

Ok I am in set 4 BC Marans.. Will be setting OEGB soon as they arrive... Wondering what happened to the black silkie eggs
idunno.gif
Was hoping to get them in time for Christmas hatch
idunno.gif
maybe New Years..
Kathyinmo Candled your silkie eggs today looking good...Looks like 14 silkies
fl.gif
fl.gif
Hope I dont mess anything up..
fl.gif
But your fertility looks GREAT!!!
thumbsup.gif

I set 12 Buff Orpingtons and 9 Ameraucana eggs. I should be getting a dozen LF Buckeye eggs from Laura Haggarty in a week or so. I hope to have them hatch out January 3rd since that's my birthday. So I'm in for Christmas and probably New Years to!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

Is this the official one? I am starting my first hatch hopefully later tonight or early tmrw... I was planning on new years chickies but I can't wait!!! However I have had my bator on a cpl hours and I have the wells filled and two sponges in but my humidity is only 31% and my temp is already too high. I have 1 vent plug out and it's 102 deg and rising. How do I get the humidity up and the temp down?

edited to add: Oh I forgot to mention my temp control knob is all the way down already. Current room temp is 71.5 and now just looked and bator is up to 104 :-(

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey, that's great news! I was wondering! YAY, Silkie babies!

thumbless, sekinkead, and sangel4you ... Welcome to the Christmas Hatch party! This is gonna be loads of fun! I will be absent the next couple days or so, as I am heading out to family Christmas parties ... traveling 300 miles from MO to Iowa. Hopin' for decent driving weather. I won't have computer access, and will surely go through withdrawal!

KAthy in Mo...thanks and have fun! So I feel REALLY stupid right now but I think someone in the LG factory was sipping a few too many when they put my bator together. The side that says "decrease temperature" must actually be the HIGH side! I had added tons of water to my wells and sponges to bring the humidity up and hopfully bring the temps down and got annoyed and was ready to return it when for *hits and giggles I decided to turn the knob to the higher temp side...and wouldn't you know it came down from 117 to 11 in two minutes and the thermostat FINALLY shut off! And viola now my humidity is up to 39% already! Now my question is what can I do to bring it down if I let it get too high now? And also, what's the highest setting for the first 18 days? I know 40s is good, but what the highest safest range? And how long should I let it sit once it meets requirements before I set my eggs? I really wanted to get them set tonight! Thanks for all the questions...I approach the first time of everything like this :)

I set 13 Buckeye eggs and 3 Buff Orpington eggs evening of December 3rd. In my experience when I incubate eggs that I received in the mail they always tend to hatch a day late.

Last edited:
I JUST STARTED THE PROCESS TWO DAY S AGO SO IT MAY HATCH ON THE 23RD BUT BECAUSE IT WAS AT NIGHT ITS PROBABLY GOING TO HATCH ON THE 24TH. IS ONE FERTILE, OXFORD OLD ENGLISH GAME AND HALF SILVERDUCKWING YOKOHAMA....IM JUST TRYING OUT ONE IN MY HOMEMADE INCUBATOR. IF IT WORKS THEN I WILL HATCH THE OTHER 24 IF NOT ILL BUY A HOVABATOR WITH AN AUTO EGG TURNER..BUT WE WILL SEE. ILL KEPP POST OF THE EGG AND ITS PROCESS...

LATER GUYS WISH ME G-LUCK AND I WISH YOU GUYS THE SAME..
yippiechickie.gif

I set my eggs today, 26 serama eggs, all from first-time layers, and 1 "first-time" rooster (very young), so I'm afraid fertility won't be too high, but...I just couldn't wait(!!!), and figured, What do I have to lose??? I only had 4 or 5 eggs fertilized by my "experienced" roo, but since most of the girls haven't been laying for more than a week or two, this will be a real "iffy" hatch no matter what! I plan on collecting eggs from here on in, hopefully my 2 little broody girls will decide to quit being broody...I never thought new layers would go broody so fast! Arghh!
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom