Official Definition(s) of Chicken Math

Quote:
If I understand you correctly you have 4 roosters, three sereamas, two silkies, and four showgirls...
so according to chicken math

- 4 roosters - no explanation needed.
-------------
- 3 Seramas an average chicken weighs about six pounds rights..these guys barely weigh 1 so you can have 6 = 1 so unless you add three more you don't have any.
------
3 The silkies only weigh about 2 lbs right? So they equal a regular chicken at a ratio of 3 to 1
------
3 Aren't show girls about the same weight as silkies? About 2 pounds...fi so they don't count because you don't have three of them.
--------
0 So you don't really have any chickens at all. And the Talbots won't be chickens until you find out if they are rooster and if you are going to keep them.

This is a TERRIBLE tragedy! No one should be without chickens. What if the food production system collapses. YOU WILL STARVE TO DEATH! You should run out and order at least 25 chicks from anywhere! And then you should get on Craigslist and find a couple more to get you by until the chicks are old enough to lay eggs! Hurry! Hurry!

* IF you are limited to three chickens in your neighbor hood you have the option of counting lbs or eggs to equal a large egg ratio. For example, a Jersey Giant chicken can easily weigh 10 pounds. A Serama weighs a pound or less. So that means that if you have a Serama that weighs less than a pound you can have 60 Seramas. Or you can figure out that it takes 25 Serama eggs (I don't know if this is true...just a guess) to equal one extra large egg. There for you can have 75 Seramas. This is a fluid math, so use whichever formula works best for you. Just ALWAYS remember to subtract rooster, multiply and subtract bantams, and chicks.

Chicken math= telling my son he can have 10-12 chickens and some how ending up with somewhere around 40. However, if we don't count roos, chicks, or non-layers we have 2. So I guess we need more!
wee.gif
D.gif

My version of chicken math.

Me: Honey, I would like to have a couple laying hens, can we turn that old dog coop into a chicken coop?
DH: I can do that but wouldn't you rather have me build a nice little coop for you where the old dog coop is?
Me: Sure, that would be great.

3 weeks later
Me: Oh honey that is a great "little" coop. You do realize it will hold about 60 chickens, right?
DH: Well, I know how you are.

1 week later

Me: Oh honey, I love my 18 little 2 week old chicks and my 8 little 4 week old guineas.
DH: I know.

1 week later

Me: Oh honey, look at those 30 RIR and NH hens, and they are just starting to lay too. This is great.

2 weeks later

Me: Oh honey, thank you so much for getting me my pair of goats to help with that scrub land, now the chickens can free range down there without getting lost or eaten. And the refurbish job you did on the old dog pen for the goats is great.

So, in my chicken math equation, 2 goats, 8 guineas, 30 laying hens and 18 chicks = a couple chickens, and since a couple is 2, I have 2 chickens.

When I explained this chicken math to my wonderful honey and finished by telling him we had 2 chickens, his answer was completely expected. " I know". LOL

Quote:
Sooo... Which chickens do actively count??
yuckyuck.gif

By this definition I have 3 birds and since my DH said I could have only 6, that means I can get at least 3 more!! I say at least b/c you never know if those three will actually count!!
lol.png

Cool! So the 3 chicks in my brooder don't count b/c they're currently house chicks and not in the coop. And because 4 of my 5 White Leghorns may be roos I can count them as 1 chicken. So instead of 8 chickens I only have one - hey I can't just have 1 chicken - they're social creatures and require more for heat - it would be cruel and inhumane to only have one - I better get some more
wink.png
Wait - I just read that if they aren't laying or are unnamed they don't count - that means I have zero chickens! What do I have this big coop for it I don't have any chickens - LOL - I better go get some chickens.

Last edited:
My chicken math works like this. The city only allows 6 hens no roosters. Well I have less than 6 hens of each sub species of chickens. So chicken math means I only 4 chickens, (5 Buff, 3 Leghorns, 3 EE, 3 Wyandottes) But I also have 2 mallards and 1 pekin, but they were raised with the wyandottes and EE's so they really think they are chickens. So that again brings the count up to 6. So as you can see I am well with in the city ordnance pertaining to chickens.

Back
Top Bottom