1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Official Egg photos thread

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Apr 8, 2010.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:That's not a Marans egg, that is an Olive Egg. (Marans x blue/green egg layer)

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

[​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    My Marans, Ameraucana, and Jersey Giant eggs. (with some Polish and EE)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  5. kathyinmo

My first egg .... we all know how special first eggs are, so I had to take a photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  6. twinmom+1VT

twinmom+1VT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Vermont
    Love the pics, can't wait for my own eggs (our first chicks are arriving in 3 weeks). Quick question though, why are there dates written on the eggs? Is this for incubation purposes?

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    twinmom+1VT :

Love the pics, can't wait for my own eggs (our first chicks are arriving in 3 weeks). Quick question though, why are there dates written on the eggs? Is this for incubation purposes?

Yup. Often when you buy hatching eggs, the dates are written to show when they were laid. [​IMG]

8. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    Quote:That's not a Marans egg, that is an Olive Egg. (Marans x blue/green egg layer)

I'm inclined to agree but she was sold to me as a proper Marans and she looks like one, so I guess I was either ripped off or I just have to love her the way she is [​IMG]

9. kathyinmo

Quote:Well, what color is it? Is it Olive or is it brown? I LOVE my Olive Egger. I have only one, and wish I had more. (Actually, I just hatched a few this weekend [​IMG] )

10. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    twinmom+1VT :

Quick question though, why are there dates written on the eggs? Is this for incubation purposes?

We write the dates on our eating eggs too. Helps to make sure you eat the oldest eggs first (or so you don't end up selling the neighbor 3 wk old eggs that got lost in the fridge!)​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by