*** OFFICIAL " How I got Started" THREAD!!!" Please Comment! ***

Kevin D.

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 18, 2010
Belleville, Ontario
Hello all Visitors!!!
I am creating this page, so that you may get to know me a bit better, and know a little bit about me. And, I can know a little bit more about you!
So, I live in the city of Belleville, Ontario, and yes, as some of you may have guessed I keep back Yard Chickens. Well, Back Yard Hens to be exact! I was introduced to chickens when I was only 5 years old, when I lived in Chicoutimi, Québec. Since then, I have always had a fascinating interest in them. When I was 6, my parents told me we were moving away, because my fathers work told him he had been there long enough. So, we all packed up, and headed off to Ontario. But there was one thing we had to leave behind the chickens. Little did my parents know, that introducing me to these oh so wonderful creatures would leave them in great pain, and frustration. 8 years, and countless pets later, I am back to chickens. I don’t know what it is with me and animals, but every time I come back from high school, stressed out, and confused about the world, and feeling like I ended that day knowing less then when I started it, I come back, and just sit. I sit there, watching my chickens, pigeons, or whatever I have in at the time, and i feel like there is no care in the world.
You see some people today, coming home from work, or in the grocery store, and they seem so stressed, and confused, and you think to yourself. Is that really what I want to be like? Do I want to get up every morning, take a quick cup of coffee, and yell at the dog because he is chewing up that day’s presentation? look up at the clock, curse at yourself, because you are already running late, run up stairs, put on yesterday black suit and white socks, grab your cup of coffee, jump into the car, start the car, pull out of the driveway, spill your cup of coffee al over yourself, get to the office, try to tell your boss what happened that morning, in two or the words, run out of the office, go to the presentation room, say your presentation to your best of your abilities, looking like if you are not even awake yet, go have lunch with someone you don’t even know and try to pretend like you have known them all your life, go back to the office, look at the clock, realize it is finally time to go home, get back in the car, take that days work load home, get home late, eat a quick diner that is now cold, because you had to stay late at the office, go to bed, and fall asleep thinking about tomorrow work load that is now only 6 hours away? Just to have a better home, nicer yard, and live in a better neighbourhood then you’re neighbour Jim? I think if we actually took the time to look at you, we would realize that if we just tried to live life to its fullest, with a good salary, a nice home, and a great family, we would realize that we don’t need to be the best on the block. And on top of all that, we would have time to relacs, and maybe even get a hobby. Maybe even back yard chickens!!!!!!!
So, now that I have rambled on for oh so long, I would LOVE to know how all of you got started.

• How old were you when you were first introduced to chickens?
• What do you do as a career
• What are your favourite things about chickens
• And anything you have to say really!!!

So GO FOR IT!!!

Kevin Danahy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Kevin, I was introduced to chickens over 50 years ago. We lived next to a family that raised them when I was 2 or 3 years old. my brothers & sisters & i each got to go over & get a chick. Well, at that age, the little fuzzybutts just don't last that long. My dad got interested & built a coop......& I've had them ever since.You are right, there is a sense of peace while you're sitting amongst the flock.As far as my occupation, I'm a ranch hand that helps care for 1200 acres & about 500 head of cattle. It's a GREAT job, but hard work.

Hi, I was introduced to chickens 4 years ago. It was obsession at first sight. 3 years ago at the ripe young age of 44 I got my first 3 day old chicks to raise.

I work at home assembling/ inspecting parts for a local plastics plant.

The eat bugs, give me eggs and are the direct cause of endless laughter.

I'd give up every other pet I have before I'd give up my girls.

I was about 5 when my parents got meat chickens. And I loved them they where so cute for the first week. But I didn't get any of my own till my sister got 28 NHR. She had so much fun with them that I decided to join the addiction. I was 28.
My career is a full time stay at home mom and I also home school.
My favorite things about chickens are... eggs! Watching them is so fun and entertaining. The defferent personalitys is great! I'm sure I'll think of more later...
Oh and welcome to BYC

My mother was raised on a farm with chickens, but the only thing I knew about those chickens was that my grandmother used to say to them, "In your next life, don't be a chicken." before she killed them.

About three or four years ago (I was probably around 28), I saw some chickens being raised at a college in Vermont, and I was enchanted by them, but wasn't seriously thinking of raising chickens.

Things that contributed to my current chicken situation:
- I read Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle"
- I started to bake a LOT
- I found BYC
- My husband finally said, "Well, if you really want chickens, I can't stop you."

Also, I think that another driving factor for me was my job; I work in software development and design, and I really needed something non-technology related to do in my spare time. So I finally picked up some week old chicks in early September, and I love them. I could just watch them for hours.
smile.png

Always wanted chickens, love the fresh eggs (eventhough the egg fairy STILL has not delivered!) Got them in August. Would love to have about 20-25 but don't have the room for that many - so I'll stick to my 1/2 dozen hens (are they called hens yet?)

I'm an RN in the surgery dept. most days love my job, some days not so much. love my hours 5am-130pm. work four 8 hr shifts per week.

Have 3 great kids, a tolerant and wonderful husband - Life is Good....

Quote:
Thanks!!! It's true, chickens do relaxs, you come home from a hard days work, and just sit there. next thing you know, you've been sitting there for 1/2 an hour!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom