Official Nurse Mare/ Orphan Foal Thread------Rescuing/Raising Nurse Mare Foals

For those who have already done this... I have one NM foal at home who is coming along very well. Then a friend of mine has gotten two together (one which will be mine later). I heard that raising two together makes it really hard to handle them and I am seeing this with my new girl. I am trying to handle her and get her in my lap so I can try some late stage imprinting. We have had two sessions so far, but she repeatedly tried to bite my leg and seems more nasty about it than curious. With my first boy it was more curious and after a few pops on the muzzle he quit and now has very good manners for his age. She seems to just keep doing it even though she seems to know it is bad. (when I put my hand up she lowers her head and doesn't bite, but then tries again a few minutes later). She runs back to the other baby afterwards and avoids us until we catch her. I am wondering if I will not be able to tame her down while she is in with the other baby. Do I need to separate them? I don't want to bring her to my well behaved one yet in the fear that she will corrupt him. Any suggestions or insights?

Back
Top Bottom