Offloading extras?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TattooQ27, May 14, 2010.

1. TattooQ27

TattooQ27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, I didn't mean offloading necessarily but I can't think of a better way to word it.

I am toying* with the idea of buying 30-45 assorted straight run ducklings from Sandhill Preservation because they have some interesting breeds and they only charge $1.85 each. You have to buy in quantities of 15 but since I am mostly only interested in a few of the breeds I would need to order a lot to get what I want. I could just order what I want but they are grossly overpriced and I always love the excitement of an assortment because you never know what you will get.

However....

I do not need or desire 30-45 ducklings (ok, maybe I could enjoy all those cute fuzzies for a short time). I do want a few more but could not keep all of them. I do know someone who would take a few runners off my hands if I got any but I don't know anyone else who is looking for ducklings at this time. I called my local feed stores, Agway, Tractor Supply, etc and they won't take them. I have had ducklings on Craigslist already this season and haven't had much interest so I have lost a ton of money already.

So, what do you do with your extras?

* by toying I mean I would be willing to order that many if I knew I wouldn't have to keep them all for an indefinite length of time. I do know someone who would take a few runners off my hands if I got any but I don't know anyone else who is looking for ducklings at this time.

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

We have a local swap-sheet that has a farm animal section and I move a ton of stuff on there.

Some folks are more interested in older ducks that they can just toss on their pond and not worry about all of the hassle of baby ducklings. So, maybe by the time that they are old enough to sex, you would have a better chance of rehoming them.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by