OH Chicken Toes!

COLORADO HIPPIE

Chirping
Mar 13, 2019
I went in to see my RI Red this morning I noticed that she again was very crippled. I found that the toe I thought was growing back, fell off last night! She doesn't seem to be in any pain, however, I don't know what a chicken in pain looks like. Eats, poops & drinks well. Will her toe grow back? Any ideas will be appreciated!

I went in to see my RI Red this morning I noticed that she again was very crippled. I found that the toe I thought was growing back, fell off last night! She doesn't seem to be in any pain, however, I don't know what a chicken in pain looks like. Eats, poops & drinks well. Will her toe grow back? Any ideas will be appreciated!
Hi @COLORADO HIPPIE :frow Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of your hen and her feet (bottom of feet too please:))

You mention that she had a toe you thought was growing back - what happened to it, did she break it, have frostbite...?

So it fell off instead? Is it bleeding, can you see bone, etc.?
I look forward to your photos so we can really see what's going on, but a toe that has fallen off will not grow back.

Sorry it took so long for you guys to see! I have no idea about what is on her tummy. I thought it was because she was not able to raise her chest off the floor but it hasn't gone away or had any changes. Doing Epsom Salt foot soaks & spraying Vetericyn Plus wound spray on her foot. She has been molting because when I got her, she was just too sick to go through molt. Just love this sweet girl but not sure what is going on.

Attachments

• bottom f.JPG
    bottom f.JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 11
  • bottom foot.JPG
    bottom foot.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 12
  • bottom of missing toe.JPG
    bottom of missing toe.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 13
  • tummy closeup.JPG
    tummy closeup.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 12
  • tummy closeup.JPG
    tummy closeup.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 12
Hi @COLORADO HIPPIE :frow Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of your hen and her feet (bottom of feet too please:))

You mention that she had a toe you thought was growing back - what happened to it, did she break it, have frostbite...?

So it fell off instead? Is it bleeding, can you see bone, etc.?
I look forward to your photos so we can really see what's going on, but a toe that has fallen off will not grow back.

Yes, the toe fell off, no bleeding or protruding bone.

I have no idea about what is on her tummy. I thought it was because she was not able to raise her chest off the floor but it hasn't gone away or had any changes.

She has been molting because when I got her, she was just too sick to go through molt.
Can you post a photo of her whole body?

The toe is not going to grow back, it looks o.k. to me, if it's not oozy or anything like that I would leave it alone. She may have lost it to frostbite or injury.

The lump on her tummy looks similar to breast blister. You mention you thought she got that because she was not able to raise her chest off the floor and that she was sick when you got her. Is she able to roost? What was she sick from- any idea?

The soakings and vetericyn may help with that bad place on her breast, you may need to gently scrub it to see if it's a crusty scab or what's underneath.

Can you post a photo of her whole body?

The toe is not going to grow back, it looks o.k. to me, if it's not oozy or anything like that I would leave it alone. She may have lost it to frostbite or injury.

The lump on her tummy looks similar to breast blister. You mention you thought she got that because she was not able to raise her chest off the floor and that she was sick when you got her. Is she able to roost? What was she sick from- any idea?

The soakings and vetericyn may help with that bad place on her breast, you may need to gently scrub it to see if it's a crusty scab or what's underneath.

Attachments

• 12290193-126F-4F80-AB9B-D173A3BC43A2.jpeg
    12290193-126F-4F80-AB9B-D173A3BC43A2.jpeg
    676.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 2E2CC023-7320-4D01-AB59-1DFB4605B40D.jpeg
    2E2CC023-7320-4D01-AB59-1DFB4605B40D.jpeg
    705.7 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom