Oh, chickens and tweens are just neverending fun!

LLRSandraMort

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2020
Thanks to COVID, my 12.5 year old daughter's classes are all online. She's picked up the habit of bringing her chromebook outside so that her friends can see the chickens. It's a little distracting, but it's all good fun... until she came running inside screaming "MOMMMMMY!!!!! The chickens are MAKING BABIES ON MY VIDEO!!!!!!"

She did recover from this appalling lack of decorum in the poultry, but today she came indoors with a soaking wet, shivering hen. Apparently one of the males tried to drown her in a trash can full of freezing water. He held her down under icy water for THIRTY SECONDS! I tried to explain that cockerels don't *DO* that, but it wasn't until evening that I finally got an explanation from my husband, who had some additional information.

We've got some trash cans outside and the birds like to roost on the edges. Apparently one was filling up with icy water today. When the male jumped up to try to mate with her, she fell into the trash can. He didn't notice that she was under water while he attempted to accomplish his goal. It wasn't so much malicious as it was oblivious. Laura, sitting outside, was able to pull her out of the water and save her. She took Lunar inside and cuddled with her in a warm room until she was up to going back outside again.

That said, the chickens all think the best place to hang out is inside the apartment. They follow the kids upstairs and wait patiently for one of them to not close the door all of the way. Earlier this week, no less than FOUR birds were discovered wandering around the apartment, presumably looking for snacks. Yeah, that's what happens when you give sick or injured birds treats when you bring them inside to check them out. They just think indoors is the place to go for good food!

The birds were all born around 5/21. Nobody's laying, or at least in the nesting boxes. My older daughter's been checking the pelvic bones and says that she can't fit more than one finger between them, so they can't be laying yet. They're red and black sex links, though. Aren't they supposed to be earning their keep by now? They sure aren't earning it by eating ticks, since she just got a positive test for Lyme. *sigh*

Stay safe and vote! :)
-Sandra

Back
Top Bottom