Pics

AppleMomma65

Songster
Mar 16, 2020
Spooner, WI
My Coop
My Coop
Oh dear.
I think I got a bad case of chicken fever and have gone slightly insane.
I'll be a first time chicken-owner soon and bought a decent sized coop (says will hold up to 10 standard birds) and when I called the coop place (Root and Roost) they said it is substantial and could really fit 12 - there are four nest boxes and we are building an add on for a bit more inside room. So guess what? I ordered 11. Well now I see that I get a free chick with my order, so that makes 12 birds: Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Black/Blue Splash Orpington, Lavender Orpington, Jersey Giant, Barnevelder, Cream Legbar, Austra White, Easter Egger, Olive Egger, Barred Rock and one unknown breed.

Should I call and take some off my order? Is this too big of a flock for someone just starting out?

1. Do you want a rooster? That free chick will most likely be a rooster

2. Are they going to only be in that coop? If they are just in there to sleep it may be ok. If they are only in there then, yes, I would either downsize chicks or upsize coop. I feel that manufacturers always say the coops "fits"too many chickens.
I'd prefer not to have a rooster but will raise it if it is. I called the hatchery and they said it would be a female if that's all I ordered (I did only order females). They will free range most of the day. May have to be in coop for a day or two if we are away. Husband is building an extra section -- 8ftx8ft and 4ft tall -- off of the new coop side for more room for them to run around. All sides on coop and the run will be surrounded by apron of hardware cloth.

Pics and measurements of your coop and run will help us to help you.

I see you are in Minnesota....that means snow and cold wind right?

You may want to plan for worst case scenario of heavy snow and a couple weeks cooped up.....
I agree with this. Always think worst case. Will they be ok if they have to be cooped up for a while? For my 7 I have a 5x8 coop and a 35'x15' run with 12' of that covered. But I do tend to oversize things 😂

I agree with this. Always think worst case. Will they be ok if they have to be cooped up for a while? For my 7 I have a 5x8 coop and a 35'x15' run with 12' of that covered. But I do tend to oversize things 😂

I refuse to tell my 20 that your 7 have a bigger run. :eek:
I keep 20 in my 8x14 coop with16x23 run. The covered section is 6x16.

I refuse to tell my 20 that your 7 have a bigger run. :eek:
I keep 20 in my 8x14 coop with16x23 run. The covered section is 6x16.
We can't free range so we figured we'll give them that luxury. It was nice and warm today so I brought them out to explore. (Theyre 3 weeks) they were having the time of their life.

Here's coop - will arrive in two weeks and will build. Have a large brooder set up that will do for first 4-5 weeks, then will move to a pen in our heated garage and stay until it's warm enough for them to be in coop. Husband will add on to the back side (there's a small chicken door) an 8x8x4 run. Can do a bigger run.

I did add the "winterize" package to the coop set up - plexiglass panels that go on the screen parts of the coop - top part is open for ventilation.

Attachments

• Coop_1.JPG
    Coop_1.JPG
    319.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Coop_3.JPG
    Coop_3.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 58
Oh dear.
I think I got a bad case of chicken fever and have gone slightly insane.
I'll be a first time chicken-owner soon and bought a decent sized coop (says will hold up to 10 standard birds) and when I called the coop place (Root and Roost) they said it is substantial and could really fit 12 - there are four nest boxes and we are building an add on for a bit more inside room. So guess what? I ordered 11. Well now I see that I get a free chick with my order, so that makes 12 birds: Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Black/Blue Splash Orpington, Lavender Orpington, Jersey Giant, Barnevelder, Cream Legbar, Austra White, Easter Egger, Olive Egger, Barred Rock and one unknown breed.

Should I call and take some off my order? Is this too big of a flock for someone just starting out?

So....bare minimum numbers for 12 full size birds
Often recommended is 10 square foot per bird in the run. 12 birds=120 square foot or a 10x12 run. Always go bigger if you can.

Coop space is recommended to have a minimum of 4 square feet per bird in the coop. 12 birds=48 square feet or a 6x8 coop.
Keep in kind that internal nest boxes and food/water in the coop take away from usable square footage. Always go bigger if you can.

12 birds need 3 nest boxes as they all tend to share.

Last edited:
Here's coop - will arrive in two weeks and will build. Have a large brooder set up that will do for first 4-5 weeks, then will move to a pen in our heated garage and stay until it's warm enough for them to be in coop. Husband will add on to the back side (there's a small chicken door) an 8x8x4 run. Can do a bigger run.

I did add the "winterize" package to the coop set up - plexiglass panels that go on the screen parts of the coop - top part is open for ventilation.
I personally would not keep 12 full grown hens in there. You've ordered quite a few large birds. They will be jam packed in there.

Back
Top Bottom