Oh dear......here we go again!!!!! *sigh*

luvmychicknkids

Canning Squirrel
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Floresville, Texas
First, I want to say, if you are tempted to say "OMG kill that thing...flush it, feed it to your snakes, stomp it, you should have just left it to die" etc, I already KNOW some people feel that way. Obviously I don't. Otherwise I wouldn't be typing this now. 2 years ago I got some of these and they are sweet, beloved pets. Didn't plan on more but hey, it is just one!!!

Quick story.......this morning my mother was taking her girls to school and saw a dead opossum. Stopped and checked. she was a female and had about 12ish dead babies with her. They were already stiff and cold so presumed dead since last night. She moved opossum out of road and went home. This afternoon when going to pick my kids up from school I ran by her house. Saw opossum on the way there and something told me to stop. I did and rolled her over. Her pouch started moving. This poor baby had been in his dead mothers pouch since...we think.....last night. He is a cute little boy.
smile.png
Please excuse the low quality cell phone pic and my AWFUL nails......they get broken a LOT and haven't been cared for in a few days.
sad.png

Meet Joey
7091_0323200936791.jpg

Thanks.....
smile.png
unfortunately you can't see his little whiskers in the pic....they are so soft and tiny.
love.gif

Yeah, I can't turn my back on a baby in need. Not to mention the ones I already raised are just amazing pets.
smile.png
I love opossums little hands.
smile.png

AWWW, WHAT A CUTIE! My husband has some advice, he was in the same situation when he was youger, and his family ended up keeping the baby, and raising it as a pet. He says to just make sure you handle and play with is alot, especially right when it wakes up, and right before he goes to sleep. The reason is because they have a very sort memory, and if you let it go for even a day it won't remember you, and could become scared of you. He says as long as you do that they are awesome pets! Good Luck!
big_smile.png

That is a cute little possum you got there
love.gif
and i have raised baby wild rabbits , baby birds , abandoned puppy's and kittens.
I've raised just about anything else i have run across thru the years that has been abandoned or tossed away.
Nice to see there are people with hearts big enough to hold a little possum
hugs.gif

Thanks for the advice.
smile.png
Thankfully, with 3 little boys, there is no shortage of snuggling.
smile.png
The other two we raised are just precious little snuggle babies. We even got our male neutered. LOL We didn't want to tak any chances on he and his sister mating and they sure didn't want split up.

Later (after I feed all the starving people and animals around here) I will try to remember to put a pic or two of the others on.
smile.png
They are HUGE.
smile.png

Last edited:
I never in a million years would have even thought to check a dead possum for live young'uns. How do you care for wee possums like that?

Great, I already have to stop and move turtles off the road... now I'm going to have to start checking possum carcasses and dragging home orphans... I'm sure my DH will give me some major
roll.png
over it too!

Back
Top Bottom