oh geez... i just bought duck eggs

snugglepup

Songster
12 Years
Apr 15, 2007
Creedmoor, NC
My husband is going to kill me. LOL

Better to ask forgiveness than permission, right?

Ok, so I just won an auction for indian runner duck eggs. I've always wanted runner ducks. I have no idea how well duck eggs ship. I probably just wasted my money. I also have no experience hatching duck eggs. I have a still air hovabator, with turner, that I have used several times to hatch chicken eggs with great success. What do I need to do differently for duck eggs? Good grief, how long do duck eggs take to hatch?

LOL....Oh I hope your hubby isnt too mad. I have 9 eggs in a bator right now...from my little duck. She sat on them for about 2, maybe 3 weeks, then just up and dissapeared!! I have no idea where she went. ALL of my ducks are gone.
sad.png
I think they take between 30 and 35 days? Not sure. I have no idea how long mine will be in the bator, because I have no idea how long Mo was setting them. I just keep the humidity up, and keep turning...intill I see a pip.
fl.gif
Hopeing these hatch, and at least ONE looks like my little Mo. I miss her terribly.

Perhaps your hubby won't be so mad if you just thought you bought chicken eggs?

YOu can't be to blame if DUCKS hatch out of chicken eggs!

Duck eggs are around 28-30 days, we had success with
turning them in the am and pm and we would spray them lightly with water.
If you have chickens, they may sit on them. We have a chicken that hatched her second set of ducks. This time we
limited her to how many eggs she could have. We do not have a rooster. She would lay her eggs, we would replace them with duck eggs. She is teaching her last two how a chicken eats. She will walk them to the lake and let them swim while she watches. She talks to them in chicken and they will come, and if they squak in duck language she comes running also. At night she puts them to bed in their gage.
Ain't love grand.
smile.png

If you monitor humidity at all. You will want it at 70%. Duck eggs lose water a lot quicker and easier than chicken eggs. 40 to 50% (the chicken norm) is far to low.

28 to 30 days is correct. Stop turning at day 25.

Ducklings need deeper water dishes than baby chicks.

yes chickens and ducks turn their eggs. Not a stupid question at all. If they are not turned the yolk sac sticks to the wall of the egg and the chick will not develop properly.

Back
Top Bottom