Oh goodness, I ordered too many eggs for my incubator on accident!! Now what?

tadpole98

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Missouri
Im kicking myself. really really hard. I ordered 10+ maran eggs and 18+ ameracauna (and she said she would include how ever many eggs she got which could be a dozen she said) eggs for hatching. Now, I thought 'thats 28 plus probably 2 or three or a dozen, I can hold up to 40' PERFECT!' NO. i was looking at my incubator and practice set a dozen to see how many would fit and i was so confused when i saw only 24 eggs would fit. but, I thought no more about bc just then my dog came in all wet from outside and i had to dry her off.
tonight at dinner i remembered and told the family. they asked if i got the right thing i ordered so I went and looked and saw i got a brinsea octagon 20 instead of 40.
barnie.gif
I looked at our orders online and i got what i paid for. But I kept thinking it would fit 40 bc I was looking at the 40 but when i went to order i carelessly clicked the 20.

Now, I need to know what to do. My eggs will get here later this week and i might have a plan. I will have to stack if it doesnt work. and at day ten take out all the infertile ones which will clear up some room.
my plan is to go to Family Center (a farm store) and get one of there cheap incubators. I think it might be a hova bator? Does anyone have any of those? do they work?

You might want to wait until you get the eggs first and see exactly how many you get. Then I'd go with your plan of candling and discarding.

I haven't personally hatched shipped eggs but one problem I've read about is that they have a lower hatch rate because the post office tends to shake the eggs too much. Also, I just read that fertility rates are lower at this time of the year.

If you plan to do more hatching, either pay closer attention to how many eggs you order, or save up and get the bigger model (sell the smaller one and use that cash to put towards the price of the bigger one).

CG

Last edited:
Tadpol
Is it the hova bator 1588?
If so you shouldn`t have had to do anything but plug it in and add water??
I have one and love it.

I agree you could have stacked and tossed after candling.
My opinion, you are going to need two incubators anyway... you should have splurged for the sportsman cabinet style...
ep.gif
You might need it...
lau.gif

Good luck with your hatch... Shipped eggs can be disappointing.
Patricia

Tadpol
Is it the hova bator 1588?
If so you shouldn`t have had to do anything but plug it in and add water??
I have one and love it.

I agree you could have stacked and tossed after candling.
My opinion, you are going to need two incubators anyway... you should have splurged for the sportsman cabinet style...
ep.gif
You might need it...
lau.gif

Good luck with your hatch... Shipped eggs can be disappointing.
Patricia
LOL I got the hova bator 1602
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom