Oh how their temperaments change during molt

The problem with molt, although a temporary state, is that it does cause loss of appetite, and that can cause weakness, which can cause a chicken to be withdrawn, and that can cause stronger chickens to bully them away from the feeders, causing a loop of woeful consequences.

You need to identify the chickens that are suffering in this manner and feed them high quality protein to restore their energy levels or they can continue to decline emotionally and physically.

Hardly anyone points out these risks inherent in molt.
What do you think? Are you in a position to test this out with your own chickens?
I would be really interested in your findings.
I forgot to mention, it's usually with the first major moult that the behaviour is most evident.

I have no idea in what circumstances it's relevant. It's what we see here and others have reported similar behaviour. One really needs a lot of people to test the theory.:confused:
All of whom can control the environment to truly test said theory.
...and they'd all need the same forage and offer the same commercial feed.

I notice that 2 of the molters eat alot of feed and treats. 1 of the molters doesn't even act different, but she's also molting slower so she can afford to be cheeky around the feeders. Lol. 1 of them isn't eating much but she'll eat treats.
When my chickens molt it's too cold and usually everything is too snow covered to forage. The ground is frozen/freezing so I think they take what they get.

Back
Top Bottom