Oh Lordy No!!! Our flock is sick - with WHAT?!?

TheLadyChickens

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
Williamston, MI
Hello chicken oracle that I so greatly depend on...

We lost one of our hens in a matter of 1-2 days (started with a cough, got lethargic, then found her dead on day 2-3). Now all our other hens are coughing/sneezing with a high pitch screech! Even our rooster, Rufio, is gasping for air. The first day I put them on antibiotics in their water, but after seeing their condition I went to TSC and picked up some needles and penicillin. I read 1/2 cc once daily? Is that correct? Also have them on electrolytes!

Is this a virus or likely infectious bronch.??? There now is eye discharge and one poor hen's eye is glued shut!!! I tried wiping it with a damp cloth and then put some petroleum jelly to try and loosen up the gunk. Anything else to do for her and the rest of the flock??

I greatly appreciate it! We've sanitized the whole coop and don't want this to wipe our our very first flock of hens! Its starting to get cold here in Michigan and I wondered if something with the weather triggered this. Any input would greatly help! THANK YOU GUYS!!!
smile.png

hey there, it sounds like mycoplasma, because of the eyes being glued shut. but it could also be Infectious Coryza. We have had Mycoplasma in our flock, you can try looking on BYC for MG to read about other folks' symptoms. If these are your backyard chickens and you're not trying to sell eggs, you can treat them with Tylan for MG (if the symptoms match up for you).There is a lot of scary stuff on BYC about mycoplasma, but read it with a grain of salt. we've lost a bird to Mycoplasma, and our coop is now "infected" because have a carrier, one who recovered after the tylan. we haven't had issues with MG since.

our symptoms were persistent sneezing, bubbly nose, bubbles in the corner of eyes, swollen sinus.

the little sebright who survived shows no symptoms of any illness any longer, and lays an egg every day.

Thank you Poonam!

I'm hoping it isn't a virus!!! I was hoping it was just a respiratory infection or something more bacterial
sad.png
If the penicillin doesn't bring any improvement, I might just take a bird to the vet to see exactly what we are dealing with! I wish all these respiratory illnesses had different and unique symptoms instead of being so similar! Thank you!

Hi ive currently medicated a flock with "MG" i thought it was coryza but there was one symptom of coryza that mine didnt have.. I will list you my symptoms.

Mycoplasma symptoms:

* Sneezing
* gaping mouth, as if something is stuck.
* bubbles in the corner of there eyes
* usualy 1 eye shut and swollen ( i put conjunctavitis eye drops in twice a day for 4 days)
* High temprature ( i gave baby asprin, worked a treat)

Coryza has 1 symptom that mycoplasma dosnt which is a bed smell from mouth & nostrils..

Mine had Baytril by mouth for 5 days, it worked for a short time only so we switched to Tylan 200 as recommended from my vet. We gave the chickens 0.5 mls and the bantoms 0.3mls by injection for 2 days. They seem to be totaly fine now fingers crossed.. Hope this helps a little as i know what your going through..x

Quote:
I hate to say it...but it sounds like MG. I had just "sneezing" with a little wheezing and it went through 4 quickly. After reading...I started mine on tetracyline but after 7 days switched to Denagard (not approved for chickens) since that is what I've read stops it. No chickens got worse than head shaking and sneezing. No deaths. The denegard stopped it all. They are all considered to be "carriers" now. Edible hens and eggs...but not to be sold or selling eggs for hatching. I contacted MSU last week. I am sending in 4 trachea swabs as directed by the doc there in charge of diseases via phone. Tomorrow morning I am sending in my swabs to the lab. Once I get difinite info saying they have MG or MS (IF they do)....I will cull my flock of 11 sadly.
Please also read Farmerboy16 info posted on how he is starting his farm over again due to MG. If after treatment you decide to keep your flock.you need to have a "closed " flock.
Good luck.
hugs.gif

Thank you Tracy and Fife!

Sounds like they have the same symptoms! I have them on penicillin but perhaps I can get them on denegard. Do I have to have a vet visit to get that or does Tractor Supply carry it? I also heard Tylan was helpful! Thank you guys so much! I'm hoping they will hang tough and make it through. If the flock can make it through this we will definitely have a "closed flock" and won't be adding any more birds. If not...I hate the idea of culling but perhaps its necessary to start over.

Quote:
I got my Denegard (the MSU doc said denegard was what would work if they had MG but didn't realize it was available for chickens...it isn't approved but it works)online. It may be at tractor supply...it will say for pigs and other livestock. 15cc for treatment 4 or more days..,..one gallon water. Have no other water available since it is bitter. I would tear up bread and dip it and hand feed them PLUs had it for drink water since they didn't drink much. Some people add sugar or caro syrup.

I did start mine on antibiotics when they were just "sneezing" since I knew it wasn't a cold. Hang in there.

Back
Top Bottom