ILT - what to do after diagnosis

Bb62

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2023
Good afternoon fellow chicken peeps!

We unfortunately recently started having some illness run through our flock and had a post mortem done revealing ILT. I have read countless articles and papers but still have some questions I hope someone can help with!

We have a mixed breed flock ages 9months to 3yrs (BCM, Ameraucana, Silverudd’s, Chanteclers, Orpingtons and some crosses) and have two coops for our chickens - older ones in the big coop and youngsters in the small one.
Two weeks ago, 2 of our BCMs developed typical ILT symptoms, we isolated but we lost both. About half the remaining chickens in the big coop showed mild symptoms (coughing and decreased activity and intake). None of the chickens in the small coop have shown any symptoms.
I appreciate this is a forever virus and we just want to do what’s safest and best going forward so this is where I am looking for advice.

Option 1 - cull the flock and start over. Terminal clean of the coop, run and anything that goes in or out with Vikron. Down time of 2-3months. Hatch and vaccinate or buy chicks vaccinated for ILT as day olds from a reputable breeder. Then annual vaccination of the flock and be sure all new chicks are vaccinated before joining the flock.
I wonder if we go this route if it is then safe to hatch our own chicks and have the possibility of selling vaccinated chicks or fertilized eggs? Or is there too much risk for this?

Option 2 - keep the current flock and allow them to live out their years. Vaccinate now and annually. No new additions to the coops. No free ranging. No hatching or selling of fertilized eggs.

We have neighbours with chickens on either side of our property. One flock is vaccinated, the other is not. They are aware of our current situation. Our goal is to have eggs for our family and to sell. We also would like to be able to again sell fertilized eggs or chicks.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Those are some really tough decisions. I'm sorry you had to go thru this. :hugsIn your shoes I'm not sure exactly what I would do but I think personally might consider option 1 for the infected larger coop and for the smaller coop if they aren't infected they should be ok to stay unless you see some sign of it with them. I'd wait a bit before adding any new till I was sure all clear on smaller coop.
https://poultrydvm.com/condition/infectious-laryngotracheitis

Those are some really tough decisions. I'm sorry you had to go thru this. :hugsIn your shoes I'm not sure exactly what I would do but I think personally might consider option 1 for the infected larger coop and for the smaller coop if they aren't infected they should be ok to stay unless you see some sign of it with them. I'd wait a bit before adding any new till I was sure all clear on smaller coop.
https://poultrydvm.com/condition/infectious-laryngotracheitis
Thanks so much for the advice! Not easy that’s for sure.
I think we are certainly leaning in the direction you have indicated. We just want to do what’s best in the end.

Back
Top Bottom