Oh lucky me. Broodies.

Cryss

Eggcentric
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
I had a broody hatch chicks 6 weeks ago. Then about 2 weeks ago my #1 broody gal decided it was time to be broody. I’m currently tossing eggs due to medicine but I’m not breaking the broodiness yet. Meanwhile, yesterday another gal decides to be broody. 3 nests, 2 broodys. 🤦🏼‍♀️

I know how to break a broody. That’s not the problem. I hadn’t broken the first of these two because I kinda hoped she would either stay broody till I stopped tossing out eggs or she stopped being broody on her own. There were a couple of eggs in the recent hatching that didn’t make it that I really was hoping for. I thought I might let this one hatch a few of the eggs of those breeds. Now I have to decide who to break. The 2 year old Blue Wheaten Ameracauna first time broody? Or the 4 year old Buff Orpington broody every year sometimes twice but I always broke her broodiness?

I have been tossing eggs for 2 weeks since the final Valbazen dose. I’m still unsure if I have to continue tossing them for 2 more weeks or 1 more week. I know I don’t want to hatch from suspect eggs.

Oh boy...can you get safe fertile eggs from somewhere nearby quickly? Do you want more chicks, or do you need eggs to eat?
So many pluses & minuses with broodys...

You should be good then, it's 14 days after the last dosing.
Researching can be confusing. One answer is 2 weeks. One says 3 weeks. One says 4 weeks to avoid birth defects. Everything seems anecdotal. Real evidence for Valbazen is only about goats and other livestock, not little bitty chickens. I’m just unsure. Have I missed something cuz I’d love to know for sure.

Researching can be confusing. One answer is 2 weeks. One says 3 weeks. One says 4 weeks to avoid birth defects. Everything seems anecdotal. Real evidence for Valbazen is only about goats and other livestock, not little bitty chickens. I’m just unsure. Have I missed something cuz I’d love to know for sure.
I'm in the same boat as you, all I can do is research... I've never hatched baby chicks so I can understand your concern with birth defects and what not. Maybe @Ridgerunner can help

Back
Top Bottom