Oh me, oh my! Whoopie Pie!

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
So, I bought my husband a whoopie pie pan and whoopie pie cookbook for Christmas.. (so he'd stop bugging ME to cook them for him. I'm no fool, ya know!
gig.gif
)
Heres his first attempt.. They were VERY good and super moist!
droolin.gif

Cant wait to try all the other recipes in the book.. carrot cake and cream cheese filling,... yellow cake and raspberry/cream filling,...pistachio,..red velvet cake,.. etc..etc..
I found that we can use box cake mix , sooo much easier! And the marshmellow cream filling was super easy to make and it tastes a lot like the filling inside Twinkies.....
droolin.gif

Heres the cake recipe, i imagine you can take any box cake and make them any flavor you want.... (i didnt use the filling recipe though..below is the recipe i used for the marshmellow creme filling)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/whoopie-pies/detail.aspx

Classic Marshmallow Filling
Makes enough to fill 12 whoopies

1 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 cup ( 1 stick) butter vegetavle shortening, softened (i used butter)
2/3 cup marshmallow fluff
1 tsp vanilla extract

1: Sift the confectioners sugar into a bowl

2:put the butter and marshmallow fluff in an electric mixer bowl, or use a large mixing bowl and a handheld electric mixer, and beat together for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy.

3: On a low speed, gradually add the confectioners sugar in spoonfulls. Add the vanilla extract and beat together for about an additional 3 minutes, until combined.

4: Use immediatley or store in the fridge for up to 2-3 days

I also have recipes for whoopie pies without using a box cake mix..if anyone is interested. Just let me know. I'm just too lazy, and the box mix is easy..
tongue.png

box cake mix..if anyone is interested.
i am i am i am
hugs.gif

Hi!
frow.gif
You want the regular recipe with NO box cake mix?? (Where you make the recipe from scratch)
Or the recipe using the box cake mix? (the box cake mix recipe is in this thread.. (look for the blue link in my second post..)
smile.png

Just let me know!!!

Last edited:
Where you make the recipe from scratch please
wink.png

Got it! Sorry it took me so long to reply..
hide.gif

Classic Whoopies (the traditional whoopie recipe)

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 extra large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 cup buttermilk

1: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

2: Put the butter, sugar, and vanilla extract in an electric mixer bowl, or use a large mixing bowl and hand held electric mixer, and beat together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg.

3: Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into the bowl and stir together. Add the buttermilk and stir until combined.

4: Using a level 2-inch ice-cream scoop or heaping tablespoon, make 24 halves.
To make each half, put the batter onto the prepared baking sheets in 2-inch diameter rounds about 1 1/4 inches high. If you are using baking sheets, leave at least 3 inches between each round to allow room for spreading.

5: Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until firm to touch. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.

6: When the whoopies are cold, match each whoopie half with its closest partner in size. Spreading with a palette knife or using a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, cover the flat side of one whoopie half of each pair generously with the filling.** marshmallow cream filling recipe in above post somewhere..** (i just used a spoon to put the filling on the whoopie..its not rocket science..lol)
Top each with its matching half, flat side down, and press gently together.

Hope they come out okay!! Good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom