Oh, my gosh, I'm going to a show!

mominoz

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 17, 2009
North Georgia
Any tips on showing, they are in pretty good feather, I haven't done extra fancy feeding(cause I decided at the last minute), but any tips would be helpful, Should I give some kind of special cleaning? I figured I'd pen them in the aviary and give clean tubs the day before. There will be an hour and half drive in Dog kennels in the back of a pickup. Best bedding? straw,shavings, pine straw? Do I need to bring my own feed and water containers for the show cages? My Ducks aren't 'tagged". Do I need to order leg tags quickly before next weekend.? Or can I just use zip ties?

I would bring my own food and water and cups/containers for them.
Zip ties may be OK, but some shows require a numbered band.
I would bring some extra pine shavings, too. They usually have them at the shows, but it's always good to have your own.
Good luck to you and your ducks!

Most ducks are self cleaning. Give them some clean water in an area where they can't access any mud. It will require some soaking to get their feet clean, but they will get there.

If toenails are long, trim them back slightly before they are put with their bath water. If you quick them, they will wash off any blood. But you don't have to cut the nails really short so you probably won't quick them.

You will have to take coop cups for feed and water. I take not only feed but bottles of water from home so they don't get a change in water while they are stressed. A lot of shows provide feed, but I don't want my birds to have a change of feed. I worry it will upset their tummies.

I use pine shavings in their travel box and take extra. The show will have bedding available, but I carry some just in case.

I suggest that you take a folding lawn chair for yourself. Any crate you use should have your name on it and I suggest you store it locked in your car instead of under the benches

Be really sure your birds don't have any crawlies. It's really embarrassing to be caught with bugs on your birds. I treat a week before the show and again just before I leave for the show, and again as I am leaving the show, so I don't bring home any hitchhikers.

Forgot to add: best luck to you. Enjoy yourself, talk to people and you'll learn a lot. Don't hesitate to ask questions when you don't know where to go or what to do. You will find that 99% of the exhibitors are super nice people and willing to help the newbies.

Bring cable ties for your coops too, to prevent "accidents" from occurring..."Ooops, I accidentally took your bird", "Sorry, I let your bird out of the coop", etc. Just be sure to remove them before the judging or your birds won't be judged!

Back
Top Bottom