Ducks on the move

Mamachic1967

Songster
8 Years
Apr 1, 2015
I have 4 - 1 month old Pekins. Im in Northeastern Ontario. Temps cooler here. I'm looking to transfer them outside to the heated shed coop.

I have hens moving out tomorrow and once its clean and ready I want to move the ducks out there.

We sectioned off 2 parts of the shed to make a coop. Hens will be on one side and the ducks on the other side.

What do I need to make this transition comfortable and easy?
Interior: Bedding, feeding, nests? I've researched it and see Pine shavings for the bedding. Straw in the winter.
And any suggestions how to control the poop and wet areas?

Hello fellow Ontarian!

I use pine shavings, and the only way to control those wet and soiled areas is to scoop scoop scoop. It can be turned and allowed to start breaking down, but you will eventually need to replace. I add some on top too, until a nice thick layer is made.

If you want to contain water mess, try keeping their pool and watering container separate from other stuff.

Did you plan on keeping them confined to eat and drink? Or will they be getting access to the outdoors? They should be fine at this age to go outside, so long as they have a draft-free place to sleep. Not sure what your weather is like, but over here we're still going below freezing at night, with most days now being above.

Does that answer your questions, or did I misinterpret what you were asking?

Oh, I just noticed your forum name. If that's your birth year, we're the same age, too! Lol!

Hello fellow Ontarian!

I use pine shavings, and the only way to control those wet and soiled areas is to scoop scoop scoop. It can be turned and allowed to start breaking down, but you will eventually need to replace. I add some on top too, until a nice thick layer is made.

If you want to contain water mess, try keeping their pool and watering container separate from other stuff.

Did you plan on keeping them confined to eat and drink? Or will they be getting access to the outdoors? They should be fine at this age to go outside, so long as they have a draft-free place to sleep. Not sure what your weather is like, but over here we're still going below freezing at night, with most days now being above.

Does that answer your questions, or did I misinterpret what you were asking?

Oh, I just noticed your forum name. If that's your birth year, we're the same age, too! Lol!
Hello Canadian Wild! That's cool we're both Centennial Year babies :)
You answered my questions, thank you. My ducks will have a coop and outdoor pen. And access to a pond in our yard.
Today I made a 'less mess' waterer. And, nope made no difference, still slopping water everywhere. I think I will section of part of their coop with a tarp and a tote to hold their waterer. Hope that helps control he amount of wetness. Then fill the other side with pine shavings. I am cleaning their brooder 1-2 times daily. So if I have to clean their coop every day I will. Do you have a nesting box on the floor for your female?
I'm in Northern Ontario and today was the first signs of warming up but were still cold at night. I figure once they are fully feathered (which looks like it won't be too long now) and a steady plus temperatures, I will move them outside to their coop. They're 5 weeks old now. Plus I will have a heating lamp in there too if needed.
Thank you for your response. I appreciate how you explained your coop. Being new to ducks I still have so much to learn. Nothing like chickens that's for sure!

Hello Canadian Wild! That's cool we're both Centennial Year babies :)
You answered my questions, thank you. My ducks will have a coop and outdoor pen. And access to a pond in our yard.
Sounds idyllic! They should enjoy that. I have several kiddy pools for mine, all over the place, lol.

Today I made a 'less mess' waterer. And, nope made no difference, still slopping water everywhere.
This made me laugh! :)

I think I will section of part of their coop with a tarp and a tote to hold their waterer. Hope that helps control he amount of wetness. Then fill the other side with pine shavings. I am cleaning their brooder 1-2 times daily. So if I have to clean their coop every day I will. Do you have a nesting box on the floor for your female?
I don't feed or water mine in the coop, unless it drop below -25 and they aren't allowed out. It just gets cleaned up in the Spring, when things thaw. Like now.

I do have nesting boxes, although not all of them will use them. My Muscovy prefer them, but the mallard-derived breeds will mostly lay wherever they feel like it. To encourage laying in a nesting box though, you can put some fake eggs in there.

I'm in Northern Ontario and today was the first signs of warming up but were still cold at night. I figure once they are fully feathered (which looks like it won't be too long now) and a steady plus temperatures, I will move them outside to their coop. They're 5 weeks old now. Plus I will have a heating lamp in there too if needed.
Just be careful with the heating lamp, you don't want to have an accident and have it set on fire. This week we're above freezing at night, and during the day, well, I was in shorts and t-shirt today! Still a lot of snow on the ground, but it's going fast. I'm up in the hills so still colder than down in the valley.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate how you explained your coop. Being new to ducks I still have so much to learn. Nothing like chickens that's for sure!
You are very welcome! This forum is a wealth of information. I never thought about joining one until last summer and wish I had. And yes, chickens are very different in many aspects.

If you have any other questions, you know where to find me!

Back
Top Bottom