OH NO! Another nest box question.... haven't seen it addressed before

ChanceRider

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Somerset, CA
A friend built two nest boxes for me out of particle board. I'm thinking of painting them to make eventual clean up easier. If I paint them now I'll have plelnty of time to let them dry and air out before putting them in the coop as the girls aren't due to lay for another month or so.

My question? Is this a good or bad idea? Why? (Yes, I'm probably overthinking this but want to do what's best for the girls).

Thanks for your help...

Not sure about others, but some of the nest boxes our chickens use are painted. Not by us, but because that's the way they came. One of the nest box thing-a-ma-jobers is actually from an old post office...So there are many (about 6 across and 4 down=24 boxes all together)nest boxes and that is painted. Another one we have is an old hand made doll house I picked up at goodwill for $3.99. That isn't painted, but the windows all had little cloth curtains in them. Some of our other nest boxes are 5 gal. buckets, milk crates, wood apple boxes, so I guess it is more a choice for you if you wanted it painted or not...
Again...just my 2 cents on it, but if you would like it painted go ahead. I am sure the girls will lay eggs in painted or natural boxes...ahahah
lau.gif

I think you MUST paint them! Particle board is not intended to stand up to any type of moisture, so you'll need to protect it. Get our your brush!
smile.png

Thanks for the quick replies! I was going to build the boxes out of regular plywood, but when a friend made two for me out of particle board... well, who am I to turn down a freebie!

Now to scrounge around in the garage/basement for paint. I actually LOVE to paint... it's almost therapuetic and you get immediate results
wink.png

Yes Paint them it will help with the cleaning, I painted mine and really like the result.

AL
10364_golf_ball_nest_boxes_more_chickens_005.jpg

Hubby has been telling me I should spray mine with Deck Finish. The clear coat sorta stuff.
I also was unsure if that would hurt the birds good question.

You have to paint and SEAL the particle board. Use a godo quality silicon along the seams. If moisture gets in between the boards, they'll eventually disintegrate.

Great suggestions... I hadn't thought of sealing with a silicon bead. The first round of sealing and painting is done... just waiting for them to dry and then I'll toss another coat of pain on them. That particle board really sucks up the paint!

Luckily we had leftover tubes of silicon seal and paint from our recent house remodel. Didn't even have to make the trip to town for supplies... just rummaged around in our garage/basement. Closer than Home Depot and cheaper
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom