Oh no! Did I do the right thing?

sday615

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
Sooo we order baby chicks and they should be here in about a week...golden buffs... were starting small only ordered 4! I'm so excited but we live in pa and the temps are getting cooler now and I started to panick this morning. Was this a bad time of year to get chicks? I'm fine with them staying in the garage for as long as they need to. We have a smaller brooder and medium pen then a very large dog cage I can switch them to as they grow and I was thinking I can take them out as they get a little bigger to adjust to the temps theough the day for a bit but was this a bad choice!?!? Should I have waited till spring? :(

I think that you'll be fine. It might have been better to wait until spring, but plenty of people raise chicks in the fall. Buff Orpingtons are hardy breeds with lots of feathers, and should grow quickly. Your chicks should be completely feathered in by eight-ten weeks old. If they seem cold, you can just provide a heat lamp, or keep them in the garage a little longer.

Thanks for responding! The more I looked up some other posts about raising chicks in the fall I think it will be fine it'll just take a little more effort on my part is all and that's ok with me :) I can't wait for them to get here!!!

Thanks for responding! The more I looked up some other posts about raising chicks in the fall I think it will be fine it'll just take a little more effort on my part is all and that's ok with me :) I can't wait for them to get here!!!

I raised my 11 chicks in the garage in a brooder until they were 5 weeks old. I used a heat lamp over them with pine shavings for bedding. The garage was a great place until they started to create so much dust!!

Well they're here! I got them a week earlier than expected because they had an over hatch yesterday and they're so adorable! They seem to be happy all eating drinking and running around chirping!

Congratulations on your new chicks! Glad to hear they are all doing well. They are incredibly cute aren't they. X4 on the you should be fine with them this time of year with some extra heat and maybe staying in the brooder/garage a week or two longer, chickens are tougher than we sometimes give them credit for.

Mine are coming next week. You should be fine. Just keep an eye on the temps and how your chicks react. Loud peeping is a sign of not being happy about something.

Enjoy those babies and post some photos!
Caroline

Thanks :) they seem to be happy! theyve been pretty quiet eating and drinking and not huddled just busy running around!

Back
Top Bottom