Oh no. frozen stiff wattles update

Quote:
I know. I know. It was a joke.
big_smile.png

I checked him all over and it doesn't appear to be dead tissue. I would know if it was dead right? Would it be black?

It actually takes some time to turn black. When you apply bag balm does he act like it hurts when you touch it ? IM pretty sure if it was frozen stiff it will turn black and IM sure it is causing him pain.

sickbyc.gif

I have been keeping a close watch on him and his wattles are surely swollen. That is not a good sign at this point. I wonder if there is anything I can do at this point.
Poor guy. I know it was because he got his wattles in his water and they froze.
he.gif

You really need to get someone to help you cut them off to avoid pain and infection. You can go to any pet store and get a small container of blood stop . Have it in a shallow dish or jar lid. After cutting off press cut edge into the powder. IM sure it will take 2 people to do it and you will need the support. One to hold him and one to cut and stop bleeding.

I know it seem's scary but you need to do this.
idunno.gif

I wish I was nearby to help you.
wink.png

Quote:
Jeepers how much of his wattles would you suggest I take off? I don't think I could do it, but a friend of dh's might be able to.

If they were frozen stiff, and not preserved prior to freezing, the cells are probably completely burst and it's just proteins holding the tissue in the form that it is. It's probably swollen because the cells that would normally be functioning to move fluids and ions around are dead and it's just pooling.

If you could get some VERY sharp scissors to cleanly cut off the tissue that is dead/filled with fluid, that would probably be best. Surgical scissors would really be the best if you can get them. Else, you'd have to just wait for it to turn black and fall off, but that comes with the pain and a greater risk of infection.

I'd cut them to the contour of his chin so to say. Don't pull and cut as that might get more than wattle.

Holy crap. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten chickens if I am a baby and can't do this on my own.
I won't even let dh move a small wood pile out back because we have chipmunks living in it and I don't want to force them out.
I am too soft.

Back
Top Bottom