OH NO, I'm starting to name my chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoneCowboy, Jul 25, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    DH and I have been against naming our food, but sometimes they just name themselves.

The roos all have names, Brutus, Levi, Tyrone, and Slick, but the other girls are starting to get names. I have 2 buff orps, now named, Prima, and Donna [​IMG] and a Buff, BR cross named Big Mama, after that owl on Fox and the Hound.

I also have a little americana pullet that's going to get a name as soon as I can remember it. She's beautiful black with a bushy beard, and she never comes out of the coop. Reminds me of that wolf girl from CSI Las Vegas. Anybody remember her name? [​IMG] Anyway, that's the name she's going to get. [​IMG]

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    uh ohhh...it's all over now...[​IMG]

3. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    That is it! You can not eat something that has a name!

4. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Hee hee- the wolf girl from CSI was named Hayden.
    You cant name your food LOL- Unless its Nugget, Florentine, Marsala, Stew, PotPie, etc

They do tend to grow on ya, eh?

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    We named 2 of the 4 chickens "Nugget" and "Dumpling". Part of that was to irritate my mother, who, although a meat eater, refuses to admit that meat was once part of a living, breathing animal.

Nugget is a serious dumb cluck. Couldn't find herself out of a paper bag. Gawd I hope she lays well.

Dumpling eats so much - and is now the biggest by far as a result - that DBF has started calling her "Dump Truck". How that dummy stuffs so much food into her crop is beyond my ability to understand. She constantly looks lopsided as a result.

6. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hilarious! Dump Truck! [​IMG] If I knew how to do those smileys that jump up and down laughing, that's what I'd insert here. [​IMG]

7. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    lol I have a big mama too.... but not for eating
    [​IMG]

8. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    If you don't name them how do you know which is which if one gets sick or does anything funny? How do you keep track of which is the best layer etc?

9. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    [​IMG] My eating sheep were named Chops and Racka (as in rack of lamb). I also ate Garth Brooks but I was planning to keep him as a ram for breeding and then didn't like how he turned out in the end so decided to butcher him also. My eating chickens don't get names but some of my pet chickens have names.

10. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    Quote:What breed is this chicken? We bought a suprise hatch off of e-bay and I got one of these. Mine is more black/gray on the body but the face and neck look the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by