OH NO!! started hatching early

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenChik, Jul 11, 2010.

1. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Well my chicks started hatching early (day 18 probably due to high temp) and I didn't have time to take out the egg turner. Will they be ok?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

From all I've read and experienced, I'd say: make sure the turner is off, and quickly remove the eggs from it and place them on their sides in the 'bator. Have a damp sponge handy to leave in the 'bator to renew lost humidity. Hope everything goes well for you!

3. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    We have had many chicks hatch while still in the turner.

They do just fine. I would not plan to do it, although I would not worry to much either way.

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I posted on this two days ago - my eggs started pipping 5+ days early! (THey are keets, supposedly 28 days, but I had planned to lock down at 24 since I heard they sometimes hatch earlier.. Didn't expect day 23 hatches!).. I had to pull the turner out and get that humidity up, but those that were pipped all made it out ok. [​IMG]

5. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    They will be fine. I had some eggs that were supposed to hatch on July 9th but they hatched July 6th (pipped July 5th). I have 28 new babies that hatched just fine (I have rhode island reds, buff turkens and red turkens oh yeah and a few black turkens that hatched). I was even turning the eggs 3 times a day and was just getting ready to turn my eggs when I noticed a pip on Monday afternoon. The humidity was only 35% at the time so I had to get the humidity up in a hurry (I just wet some washclothes and left them really soggy and placed in the incubator. My temps ran 99.5 up to 100.9 during incubation. This was the best hatch I have had in a long time.

I had gotten my eggs from a friend who told me she usually experiences early hatches from her eggs. The first time I hatched her eggs I only had one survivor who died as a result of a rat bite to the chicks throat.

Good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by