oh no!! wrong food bought for my new chicks-help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sonew123, Mar 27, 2009.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    My DH bought chick starter food NOT the kind with the antibiotics in it-what do I do now? Our chicks hatched last night-2 of them so far? DO they NEED the antibiotic food if I keep them spotless and their brooder too- ( I would anyway) but seriously I'm new at this-got everything but the correct starter food and that place is an hour away-Help [​IMG]

2. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    They don't have to have medicated. Some people use medicated to help prevent disease. As long as it is for chicks you should be fine.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The meds are not antibiotics, but only a thiamine blocker to combat cocci. You can feed it to them and get the one with amprolium later on or just continue to feed that one.

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    you don't have to give them medicated food. i personally don't, i want them to develop immunities on their own.

5. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Lots of people use non-medicated starter food and their chicks are just fine. I use medicated to prevent coccidiosis, but you can just keep them clean and watch their poo. Read about the symptoms of coccidiosis (including bloody poo) and watch for it so you know if you need to treat it.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    yeah thank you so much!!! [​IMG]

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We use non-medicated chick start - you will be fine....

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

We've always used non-medicated and never lost any chicks in the brooder at all.

9. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I use non-medicated as well. There are arguments both ways, and both have valid cases.

I am already slowly introducing my chicks to outside soil by allowing tiny amounts of soil in the brooder cages each week. Just my own preference.

Good luck, don't worry, and enjoy your chicks! [​IMG]

10. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    They will be ok with what you have. Just feed that bag and then if you want medicated food you can give it to them the next bag you buy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by