Oh no you didn't!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momto2, Nov 15, 2008.

1. momto2

momto2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Yep he did it!! My 21 week old rooster tried to attack my daughter and I today. Any suggestions (besides chicken stew) on how I can nip this behavior??

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Rooster red has a great personal page on dealing with aggressive roosters. I'll try to find you the link.

3. momto2

momto2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I'd like to check that out. Everyone told me it would be a year until I'd see aggressiveness!

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I posted the link. It really helped me when dealing with my roosters. I've "practiced" what he said so much that it is just a reflex now when one does something off the wall. I have small boys and can't tolerate a rooster that I am afraid will attack them.

5. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Buster,

Thanks for posting that link. I read what he said and will keep it in mind for future reference. I don't plan on having any roosters at first because I live in the city, but you never know what will happen, LOL.

Very good information.

Thanks again

6. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    That was a wonderful article Buster, thank you very much! I am going to keep it as a "favorite" [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just remember that the sooner you nip it in the bud the better, however, not all roosters will respond to that treatment. I've used it on an 8 week old cockerel who wanted to bite my hand whenever I picked up one of his coop mates. I told my DH that was is cute at 8 weeks is not so cute with an 8 lb rooster. He's grown into a wonderful, sweet and friendly rooster now, but he has genetics on his side-his daddy was awesome. I had another rooster (different breed) who did not respond to the treatment so he no longer lives here.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Great article.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by