Oh oh I'm in trouble, need rabbit advice!

Quote:
Not true. Most experienced breeding rabbits will use a nesting box. Just have to make sure its the right size the for breed. OP you can find large rabbit sized nesting boxes at TSC tractor supply. You never want to encourage a rabbit to have its litter on the wire. Chances are, if she does, they will die. Most first time moms may lay them on the wire. But will get it right the second time.

I will look today but our TSC's in canada (or at least my local one) really lacks. I hear all you guys in the states buying incubators and chicks and all sorts of stuff that our TSC doesn't carry. But here's hoping, I will look today.

I attempted to palpate her abdomen, I have palpated pregnant dogs before and am a nurse and palpate lumps and bumps on people as well but I was still nervous!

I didn't feel anything. She would get tense when I touched her and it was difficult to feel much at all except her breathing.

I am sort of hoping she is not pregnant, I would rather breed her to a flemish buck instead of the champagne although I bet they would be beautiful kits!

If she is pregnant put abox in and you'll know .. she will start ripping fur out of her stomach and chest and make a nice nest... My rabbits have always had their kits in nesting boxes.. Never have I had them on the wire floor..
nest.jpg
This is how I have always made mine.. The moms seem more safe with the small piece of wood across the back.. I think it makes them fell protected from behind.. Also try to be quiet and calm the first few days if a doe gets scared they can attack the babies.. Only had it happen with one doe but it can happen... Good Luck ... If you didnt feel anything I would say shes not ready.. I have always been able to feel the kits moving by this stage...

Last edited:
We had an "oops" pregnancy & never knew she was pregnant. She gave birth to 5 healthy kits. We did happen to have a box in the hutch. DD had put one in "for her bed" and since she never messed in it, I left it in. I would recommend grabbing whatever you have on hand and getting it out there. Even the bottom 4" of a box with some straw in it is better than nothing.
Good luck.
big_smile.png

Well we put a nest box in and she has been in it alot but I haven't seen any nest building behavior.

I hope everything goes well. I'm expecting the worst with this being a first time mom and having a big move so close to her due date. But hoping for the best!

Do you have a place that sells holland bulbs? they come in a large wooden crate, my feed store saves them for me even though I no longer have flemish.
they are perfect size for the mother and a large litter, all need do is put down cardboard or a thin type of plywood to even the bottom out.

Flemish really shouldnt be on wire bottom cages, but have a solid bottom or at least a large resting board to sit on to relieve the pressure from their weight on the wire.
Their weight and wire leads to pressure sores and deep cuts. not very comfortable for them to say the least.

Have she had her litter yet and if so wheres the Pictures?

Just saw this post...any update?

In a pinch, I just stuff lots of hay in their cage, pile lots in a corner and start a little dent in the hay for them. Most of the time my bunnies will use nestboxes...only occasionally will they have one out of the box and then the rest are in the box. Also, most of my first time moms get it right, but often they will have dead babies...this is with Holland Lops. I'd say more often than not, even my first time moms have live litters. When I feed hay, if a doe that is close to her due date stuffs hay in her mouth and starts hopping around with it, I know they are close. Occasionally, one will remind me they need a nestbox by doing that...LOL! Or if you see them pulling fur, they could also be close.

Hope things went well...

Kristen

I used to raise rabbits but not the Flemish Giant. Put "Size of Flemish iant Rabbit nestbox" in the search engine and you'll get some ideas. I did that and got http://users.bentonrea.com/~frankz/fg.html. From the drawing near the bottom, you apparently need a next box 14" x 24". I used to build my own nest boxes. You can do it in less than an hour. Just cut some untreated lumber, 2x4's or maybe 2x6's for thes giants, and nail them to a piece of untreated plywood cut 14.5 x 24.5" or there abouts. It's a no-brainer woodworking project requiring no prior experience.

Or...if you can find a plastic dish pan around these 14x24 inch requirements, you could firmly nail or screw that to a piece of plywood cut the size of its bottom. That would give the plastic tray a little weight and keep it from tipping over, hopefully. In either case, I would drill a few drain holes in the bottom to allow for urine to drain out and then stuff either with good quality straw or hay.

I never had any trouble getting my rabbits to use the nest boxes by the way. A first-time mother is more likely to have them on the wire than an experienced one. So just check on her to get any babes in the box as soon as possible.

Connie

She never kindled. So phew! I have more time to prepare. I honestly don't think she was even bred. The breeder seemed a bit shifty after I bought her. In 3 different emails she was 3 different ages, 6month, 8months and 9 months. Her due date also started to change and then she just stopped communication.

Gypsy, About 1 quarter of her cage is plywood. Its plenty large enough for them to sprawl completely out on.
I was aware that flemish should not be housed on wire constantly due to their size. But thanks for the reminder!

Last edited:
Sounds like you dodged a bullet this time. I am glad for your sake and the does. Any time I have bought or sold one that is pregnant, bad things have happened. So I don't deal with bred does anymore. Hopefully, she will settle in and be a good production mother for you.

Back
Top Bottom