Oh, society. How I wail for thee...

Quote:
The following text in italics is not mine; I'm simply passing on an important message of acceptance.

I went to the mall, and a little girl called me a terrorist.

My name is Ela. I am seventeen years old. I am not Muslim, but my friend told me about her friend being discriminated against for wearing a hijab. So I decided to see the discrimination firsthand to get a better understanding of what Muslim women go through.

My friend and I pinned scarves around our heads, and then we went to the mall. Normally, vendors try to get us to buy things and ask us to sample a snack. Clerks usually ask us if we need help, tell us about sales, and smile at us. Not today. People, including vendors, clerks, and other shoppers, wouldn’t look at us. They didn’t talk to us. They acted like we didn’t exist. They didn’t want to be caught staring at us, so they didn’t look at all.

And then, in one store, a girl (who looked about four years old) asked her mom if my friend and I were terrorists. She wasn’t trying to be mean or anything. I don’t even think she could have grasped the idea of prejudice. However, her mother’s response is one I can never forgive or forget. The mother hushed her child, glared at me, and then took her daughter by the hand and led her out of the store.

All that because I put a scarf on my head. Just like that, a mother taught her little girl that being Muslim was evil. It didn’t matter that I was a nice person. All that mattered was that I looked different. That little girl may grow up and teach her children the same thing.

This experiment gave me a huge wakeup call. It lasted for only a few hours, so I can’t even begin to imagine how much prejudice Muslim girls go through every day. It reminded me of something that many people know but rarely remember: the women in hijabs are people, just like all those women out there who aren’t Muslim.

People of Tumblr, please help me spread this message. Treat Muslims, Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans, Taoists, etc., exactly the way you want to be treated, regardless of what they’re wearing or not wearing, no exceptions. Reblog this. Tell your friends. I don’t know that the world will ever totally wipe out prejudice, but we can try, one blog at a time.

Reblogged from: http://imperfectwriting.tumblr.com/post/33933007179/i-went-to-the-mall-and-a-little-girl-called-me-a

Such a shame people, even the littlest of kids, will judge others for how they choose to believe in a religion.

I read that a little different than she does. First there is an assumption that anyone with her head covered wants to be left alone. People understanding of the religion supports this. Girls that are dresses as girls these days normally dress at the mall are trying to get people to talk to them. Knowing this, I cant see how anyone would be surprised that people are not treating her as any other girl in the mall. Sure some will have hate but in this case hate an respect can look exactly the same.

I remember the girls in floor length dresses that I went to high school with. They had rules that they had to go by that the rest of us did not have to follow. Everyone knew that an the ones that did not know mimicked the ones that did. Though a few people were rude to them, most people treated them different than the average girl out of respect. Not that we knew what to do an not to do around them so most people left them alone to make sure they did not break some rule they did not understand.

As for the kid an the dad... I have kids ask if I am a real cowboy all the time. Usually at the mall or somewhere in the city. Kids say these things when they see someone who stands out. They reference what they know an ask questions. The response from the parents is usually to pull the kid out of the area. That does not make me think the parents hate cowboys. It does tell me that the parent thought what the kid said was something he/she should not have said.

Same thing happens when kids notice I am disabled. Kids say stuff an the parent drags them away.

Anyone that dresses in a way that shows people they have a strong religious conviction have to show people how they want to be treated an give them time to catch on. Most people are looking for cues to respond to. Even other people that are well read in the same religion need those cues cause religion an what is ok is subjective.

I know wiccans living in the middle of the deep southern bible belt. A few are good friends of mine. They have more trouble keeping from crossing a line that they dont understand with regard to their Christian neighbors than they ever have with hate.

I dont have any Muslim friend though. Did date an Amish girl for a while.

When differing cultures an religions cross, things happen.If you expect respect you will see respect in those things, if you expect misunderstanding you will see misunderstanding in those things, if you expect hate you will see hate in those things. All of those things an more will be there but you can only see the things you are letting your self see..

Last edited:
Sorry but it's my understanding Muslims worship a different God, that makes the followers of Islam neither good nor bad just a totally different religion than the other posted above. Even if I am the one mistaken Judaism is waiting for the Messiah to come, the other three say he has come but have a different view on the bible (which contain the Jewish Tarrah as the beginning of it) But Islam believes Jesus is not the messiah and the bible and the Tarrah are both not the writings of God.
They have roots in the same god, but they view him differently. Allah is Arabic for god. Just as Christians who speak English say god. It would be silly to expect another language to use the English term for god.

There are groups of Christians who believe other Christians and their versions of the bible are not christian. Does this mean they do not worship the god of Abraham? Or just view him differently?

Quote:

I read that a little different than she does. First there is an assumption that anyone with her head covered wants to be left alone. People understanding of the religion supports this. Girls that are dresses as girls these days normally dress at the mall are trying to get people to talk to them. Knowing this, I cant see how anyone would be surprised that people are not treating her as any other girl in the mall. Sure some will have hate but in this case hate an respect can look exactly the same.

I remember the girls in floor length dresses that I went to high school with. They had rules that they had to go by that the rest of us did not have to follow. Everyone knew that an the ones that did not know mimicked the ones that did. Though a few people were rude to them, most people treated them different than the average girl out of respect. Not that we knew what to do an not to do around them so most people left them alone to make sure they did not break some rule they did not understand.

As for the kid an the dad... I have kids ask if I am a real cowboy all the time. Usually at the mall or somewhere in the city. Kids say these things when they see someone who stands out. They reference what they know an ask questions. The response from the parents is usually to pull the kid out of the area. That does not make me think the parents hate cowboys. It does tell me that the parent thought what the kid said was something he/she should not have said.

Same thing happens when kids notice I am disabled. Kids say stuff an the parent drags them away.

Anyone that dresses in a way that shows people they have a strong religious conviction have to show people how they want to be treated an give them time to catch on. Most people are looking for cues to respond to. Even other people that are well read in the same religion need those cues cause religion an what is ok is subjective.

I know wiccans living in the middle of the deep southern bible belt. A few are good friends of mine. They have more trouble keeping from crossing a line that they dont understand with regard to their Christian neighbors than they ever have with hate.

I dont have any Muslim friend though. Did date an Amish girl for a while.

When differing cultures an religions cross, things happen.If you expect respect you will see respect in those things, if you expect misunderstanding you will see misunderstanding in those things, if you expect hate you will see hate in those things. All of those things an more will be there but you can only see the things you are letting your self see..
That is a point of view i had not considered. Thanks for the post. What you say is true. Sometimes people just do not know how to behave so they are very careful around someone of another belief system, and when kids pipe up the parents drag them off out of embarrassment.

I do know an "underground" pagan community among several small towns in the south. If you know what your looking for you can pick them out pretty easily. They tend to be very secretive bout their beliefs for fear of persecution.

Jews, Christians, Muslims........we all worship the same God. Where we differ is what book we read. Torah, Koran, Bible.....what we really are is People Of The Books. Too bad we can't all just respect each other and get along. But here I must chuckle, if in the same church building, there are members that don't see eye to eye and have their bickerings, then how in tarnation can us humans find ways to get along with other religions, race and beliefs? Sigh......we have our work cut out for us. ALL of us!

When we were at the bigger city mall, my daughter DID ask me why are they wearing head covers or why they are dressed like that.

I didn't have any words but I let my mouth run off.."Honey, they are of a different nationality, and its their heritage and culture that requires them to wear hajib or head scarfs. They are wonderful people!" After that my daughter would say Hi to them or wave at them.

If my daughter ask why people badmouthed about them, I would tell her I am sorry they are ignorant and they want to be treated nicely like we do. So treat them nice and they will return the favor. Do not mock of their religion, neither should they. Respect their differences in life than you do.

Well said. Just because someone may look a bit different is no reason to treat them as a threat or as if they are beneath you. We are all the same inside.

I looked up this thread again after watching something on TV that said at least some forms of Muslims (I understand there are different takes on the belief system like the various forms of
Christianity) and some groups won't allow women to talk to males outside of their husbands and family members. If it is out in the media that it is that way for some branches of that faith I am sure some men out of ignorance try not to engage in talking to those girls because they wished not to offend them and their beliefs. I have no idea if people went out of their way to be rude to those girls (it sounds like some where out and out rude but everyone?) or if they just where just trying to be polite in a bumbleing manner.

My ex husband was Muslim (non practicing) and he was friends with a guy who was much more devout. The guy's wife and daughter both wore the head scarf and followed all the rules. I remember after the Oklahoma City bombing, before anyone knew who did it, the friend told me he walked out to his mailbox and his neighbor, whom he had known for years, said something along the line of "it must have been one of his buddies who did it." Needless to say, the friend was very hurt and upset by this. Of course we now know it was a couple of sicko American guys who did it...not Muslims at all. I never did find out if the neighbor was man enough to apologize, but even if he did, the damage was done. After 9/11, I remembered this story, and tried very hard to stay off the "Muslims are evil" bandwagon. I've told this story to my kids, because it was the best way I could think of to illustrate prejudice and its effect on people.

Back
Top Bottom