Oh What have I done wrong???

Sandy Drews

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 15, 2013
Alberta Canada
Ok to is day 18!!!! I got my brooder all set up this morning and was going to take out the turner tonight when I got home. I get a phone call at work from daughter saying there is a chick already!!! OMG
So I tell her to very carefully and quickly to take out eggs remove turner and then put them all back.
I have one hatched and two with cracks.... but they are not doing much

Do you think I messed up WHY hatching sooo early?

How long can I leave the chick in there?

Should I still wait the whole 21 days for rest to hatch?

I would keep them in there til day 23 or sometimes 24. Some are late hatchers while others may hatch early. I wouldn't open the incubator at all anymore. I've learned my lesson the hard way and 5 out of 12 hatched and the other 6 got "shrink-wrapped" due to the lid being opened and closed during "lock-down" time. It will lose the humidity and those that do hatch can get stuck and have problems getting out and that causes them to be weak, to die inside after pipping or even causes the cord to stick and the intestines to pull out which will eventually kill them too. Horrible experience when I didn't know what I was doing! (Remember though just b/c some don't make it isn't something you did or didn't do sometimes it's just nature!)

The chick can stay in the incubator until it's dry. The yolk it absorbed through it's cord will be enough food for it for up to three days.

Last week one of mine pipped before day 21 and it's doing just fine.

Ok to is day 18!!!! I got my brooder all set up this morning and was going to take out the turner tonight when I got home. I get a phone call at work from daughter saying there is a chick already!!! OMG
So I tell her to very carefully and quickly to take out eggs remove turner and then put them all back.
I have one hatched and two with cracks.... but they are not doing much

Do you think I messed up WHY hatching sooo early?

How long can I leave the chick in there?

Should I still wait the whole 21 days for rest to hatch?
It sounds like you had the temp a little too high causing an early hatch. You will have to pull the chick within 72 hours. Do it quickly and any eggs that have not hatched should stay until day 23.

Hmmm this is my first time so I hope it works out. I know I would be soo disapointed. I have been waiting so long to hatch some eggs.
What kind of incubator do you use?

If you mean boost you humidity you have to fill the water wells in the bottom of the incubator, if that doesn't boost it high enough then you can add additional containers with sponges or paper towels in them to wick moisture out or simply throw wet paper towels in.

Back
Top Bottom