oh what to do

I understand. I have a little boy that would be doing the same thing, if I were in your situation...lol

As for more cluck for your buck, then I would go with either sex links or white leghorns. I will never own leghorns again. Some people like them, but to me they are the worst breed of chickens. Mine never would tame down and would try to break their necks, just when I would go anywhere near the coop. The sex links are bred to produce more eggs and mature at a younger age. I am sure that some will disagree with me, but this is my opinion...lol

BTW, I am not trying to encourage you to getting the sex links...lol I just like them, because I think that they are pretty and they are very good layers.

well this just thru me thru a loop? according to my pet chicken they give you some picks according to my standards and recommended delawares and faverolle? it says they are broody, i think that means sit on nest and not lay. i don't want that.

edit** i messed up thats why

Last edited:
I do not have any experience with either of those breeds, sorry. Yes, broody means that they want to sit and hatch eggs and will not lay. It doesn't matter that the eggs will not be fertile.

I, along with quite a few others on here (I am sure.), have taken the eggs out from beneath a broody hen and she would still sit on a fake egg, golf ball, empty nest. It doesn't matter, when they want to set. I have broken a broody hen by putting her in a seperate cage, without a nest box, but she still will not lay for several weeks.

I ordered from My Pet Chicken the fall. I was extremely happy with all my chickies when they arrived at the post office- all alive, healthy and chirping up a storm. I ordered 20 females total (I was keeping 8 and the rest went to a friend). Well, we got 21, and the extra has most definitely turned into a rooster. Although, when I look back at it, he wasn;t really the extra one. My order included, in addition to other breeds, 3 australorps and 1 barred rock. What I got was 3 australorps (2 hens and the one rooster) and 2 barred rock hens. So, one of the BR was a packing peanut and turned out to be a girl. Maybe my rooster was an honest sexing mistake. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

Ideal Poultry will sell you as many chicks as you want. They do have a min. $ amount though, like $20, $25. They will also exclude packing peanuts if you ask them to.

I would try ideal they have a wide assortment of breeds and you have to reach a min of $25 instead of 25 chicks. you could always give the extra away.

well i was wanting to avoid finding new homes but with the risk of chick death or possibles roo's, i should probably get extra for that reason. the extra's i can find new homes for if not cull them, i probably should get used to culling, i will have to do it sooner or later.
i have decided to get 2 rir's, 2 blk stars, 1 barred rock and 1 golden laced wyandotte. but it still could change.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom