Oh wow, did not see that coming

Unless you have seen evidence of a true cruel streak in him before I would tend to think this is a little boy who just had a "Doh!" moment. There is a difference between the two. That being said, I would still use this as an opportunity to teach him that what he did was wrong and why.

I can understand, from what you posted, that you are not comfortable involving his parents. I wonder if there might not be a time when you could talk to him one on one and say something to him, not in the heat of the moment when you are worried about your little chick, keeping it short and to the point. And certainly never let him be in a position to be alone with any of your animals or your children either for that matter.

My parents were messed up when I was a kid, (still are!) to put things politely, but I had more than one person come along when I was growing up who cared enough to teach me valuable lessons, saying a few timely words or by their actions. They probably never knew the impact they had on me...but I do.

I have a six year old son who just this morning as I was laying him down for a nap, looked up at me with big eyes and said, "I've been really good this morning......I wonder why?" lol

That to me is the mind of a six year old boy.

Deb

I apologize for not having read the entire thread....I read several posts, and something is bugging me - how in the world does a 6-year old throw THAT HIGH? Any chance you could have been mistaken? Just curious. That seems like a HUGE throw for a 6 year old. Then again, I don't have kids, so I'm completely unsure. In any event - at the end of the day, to me - for SURE you need to find out from the kid why he did it, make it a learning opportunity. And - I am SO glad your chick is okay!

Quote:
Honestly, I hear ya. I've replayed it in my mind. Over and OVER and OVER again since it happened yesterday. I've questioned my eyesight. I've questioned my memory. Still it made it to the top of a tree which is TALL. I honestly have no idea HOW a chick could get so high. They are so light. But then again, I've never tried throwing one. It makes me think that maybe he didn't think it would go so high. But then he bent down his knees and did the 2 handed toss up with force. Like I said, I thought it was a ball. Scanned the ground for a loose chick about to get stepped on then looked up and screamed at him as realization hit.

hide.gif
A Jeffrey Dahmer in the making.
A six is old enough Not to treat a fragile creature with such uncontrollable behavior.
I agree, keep that kid under CLOSE watch. Not just where protecting the kids is concerned, but the animals as well.

Quote:
Quote:
The bits in bold are the most disturbing to me. He wasn't sorry or upset and he absolutely knew what he was doing. Heaving a living creature up into the air that you had just been praising him for holding gently and kindly.

I think as another poster said a professional assessment would be in order. Yes it might have been a teaching moment. Yes it might have been a moment of stupidity. It might have been a lot of things but for him to not be sorry scares me. He knew it was a delicate creature because you'd taught him to hold it gently. He knew he was heaving it up into the air hard. He knew you were freaked out that he threw it. To show no remorse makes me think something is really wrong with that kid.

With him being a neighbor and relationship between your families already strained it's pretty hard to do anything about it that won't cause repercussions but I wouldn't ignore the situation. You need to tell his parents. They may or may not chose to do anything but for the sake of the bunny they are thinking of getting, and other creatures he might be in contact with, they need to know. As you said much higher up the thread, I would keep an eye on the neighborhood cats.

If I were you I'd be very happy I was planing to move soon.

Quote:
Boys will be boys, but it's the adults job to teach them to be men. You had to take care of your daughter, and based on what you had seen you thought the children & chicks would be OK until you got back. Now you know this child can't be left alone with the chicks, not yet. Let the mom know, and don't leave the child unattended until he shows some maturity.

Probably not much you can do about the chick, it will either be OK, or it won't. Make sure the other chicks don't gang up on it if it appears a bit sluggish.

I hope that you are just being self-depricating in your words, and don't really think those things about your parenting. I think any mom who is sitting outside playing with her kids, neighbor kids, and animals, is a good mom, reacting to your motherly instincts to help your daughter after rightfully assessing the situation to be safe (how could you know?)--the fact that you are concerned about the neighbor boy as well after what happens shows that you are probably a really good mom.

I too think something else is going on with the boy. I think since relations are already strained and whatever it is will come up again in another situation, now that you know something might be a little wonky, I'd just not leave any kids or animals alone with him.

Quote:
My 5 year old nephew has thrown toys hard enough at walls to put the toy clear through to the room on the other side...kids can be a lot stronger than they look!

Some people are very gentle with animals and some are not. I, my children and granddaughter all are. Never leave a little pet that you care about alone with a little child that you don't know. These stories just hurt my heart.

It is amazing what can happen when you turn your back for just a few seconds, but Mom, I don't know what else you could have done. I'm glad your little chick is Ok...

As a mom to a 6 & 9 year old boys I just want to say do not be so hard on yourself. I wouldn't trust my 6 year old alone with the chicks, but with that said I know he would never hurl one in the air b/c we have taught him from day one how fragile they are. But like mentioned before some kids are just more "easy" when it comes to animals. My oldest is a huge animal lover and is so gentle and careful, my middle son while he loves animals and knows right and wrong he is alot rougher and we dont even let him hold the chicks right now.

And I just want to say the boys will be boys comment, I personally dont agree with! Boys can be just as gentle and nurtureing as a little girl!! And vise versa, Ive seen some pretty aggressive little girls!!!

Back
Top Bottom