oh yikes a strong cold front came through. Worried about my chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by daystardoberman, Nov 21, 2013.

1. daystardoberman

daystardoberman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2013
    I live in North Texas and a very strong cold front just came in. The temps dropped from 70 and are expected to go into the low 30's overnight. I have 13 spring chickens all laying and doing well, and 8 12 week old chicks that are incorporated in the flock and doing well, eating well, staying away from the older hens that are dominant. Will they all be ok in this cold? A heat lamp won't do any good because the wind is blowing and the coop is tight and dry, but drafty. LOL I assume they know how to huddle up together and stay warm...right?

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Plastic tarps are cheap and available just about everywhere: Cover and attach to N/NW side(s) of coop. An old sheet would do to knock the drafts out.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They will be fine. Much of the country has had temps colder than this already. They'll huddle together and fluff those feathers out and be just nice and toasty. In the morning they'll be talking about it---"did you hear that wind last night?". Just listen close enough, you'll hear them talking about it, I promise [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. daystardoberman

daystardoberman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2013
    Thanks! I can hear the chattering from the house. Hoping they'll still lay eggs! They'll be glad to see me at chore time, I'll give them extra treats.
    and glad your chemo is done. Praying it's the cure!

5. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    I live in AK and we have had minus temps the last couple days. I have a non heated coop and our birds are doing just fine.

1 person likes this.
  6. JudithKerlin

JudithKerlin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Do put up a tarp or a towel or SOMETHING for a windbreak if you can. It's much easier for them to stay warm in a pocket of non-moving air. Mine down here in Central Austin have a lamp to warm the air inside the sleep-coop. The two small guys who can't share quarters with bigger rooster are tucked into our second bathroom for the duration of the cold snap since the number of opportunist cats sheltering in the garage was making them really upset. They are puzzled, but not cold!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Wonders what these chickens are chattering?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  8. chicken8

chicken8 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska
    We had a few nights this week with lows down to -10F. I have an uninsulated, unheated coop and the chickens are fine, even the 14 week old bantam. The layers laid an egg a day all week (without artificial light) and they came charging out of the coop the minute I opened their hatch.

If there is protection from the wind I can't imagine they will have any problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by