oh yikes a strong cold front came through. Worried about my chickens

daystardoberman

Songster
7 Years
Aug 26, 2013
I live in North Texas and a very strong cold front just came in. The temps dropped from 70 and are expected to go into the low 30's overnight. I have 13 spring chickens all laying and doing well, and 8 12 week old chicks that are incorporated in the flock and doing well, eating well, staying away from the older hens that are dominant. Will they all be ok in this cold? A heat lamp won't do any good because the wind is blowing and the coop is tight and dry, but drafty. LOL I assume they know how to huddle up together and stay warm...right?

Plastic tarps are cheap and available just about everywhere: Cover and attach to N/NW side(s) of coop. An old sheet would do to knock the drafts out.

Last edited:
They will be fine. Much of the country has had temps colder than this already. They'll huddle together and fluff those feathers out and be just nice and toasty. In the morning they'll be talking about it---"did you hear that wind last night?". Just listen close enough, you'll hear them talking about it, I promise
big_smile.png

Thanks! I can hear the chattering from the house. Hoping they'll still lay eggs! They'll be glad to see me at chore time, I'll give them extra treats.
and glad your chemo is done. Praying it's the cure!

Do put up a tarp or a towel or SOMETHING for a windbreak if you can. It's much easier for them to stay warm in a pocket of non-moving air. Mine down here in Central Austin have a lamp to warm the air inside the sleep-coop. The two small guys who can't share quarters with bigger rooster are tucked into our second bathroom for the duration of the cold snap since the number of opportunist cats sheltering in the garage was making them really upset. They are puzzled, but not cold!

Do put up a tarp or a towel or SOMETHING for a windbreak if you can. It's much easier for them to stay warm in a pocket of non-moving air. Mine down here in Central Austin have a lamp to warm the air inside the sleep-coop. The two small guys who can't share quarters with bigger rooster are tucked into our second bathroom for the duration of the cold snap since the number of opportunist cats sheltering in the garage was making them really upset. They are puzzled, but not cold!
Wonders what these chickens are chattering?

Last edited:
We had a few nights this week with lows down to -10F. I have an uninsulated, unheated coop and the chickens are fine, even the 14 week old bantam. The layers laid an egg a day all week (without artificial light) and they came charging out of the coop the minute I opened their hatch.

If there is protection from the wind I can't imagine they will have any problems.

Back
Top Bottom