Ohiki Chicken Thread

Pics
I remember Chris saying that, call me crazy, but I swear Im seeing some growth. If you remember from the pictures his tail was like a hen tail, Chris said they were broken, maybe it's just me seeing what I want! haha

no they still grow fast enough to see a difference over a few weeks time, they just dont shoot them out like rockets like some phoenix do..
They'll get a decent tail their first year, but year two and on is where they start to show the good stuff,

no finished blues that I am aware of from anyone with them, a few working on them though. Never heard of or seen charcoal in them either

Thanks for the reply Aubrey. I am curious because my barred are throwing barred blues.. Or at least they appear blue. But the grown birds don't look blue. This was making me wonder if it was not blue, but charcoal. You have to see blue to have it. I don't have any blue ohiki, but I keep getting blue looking chicks. It is somewhat of a mystery to me...
I know they can carry charcoal and you not see it and it come out, like lavender.. And charcoal looks blue. So I was wondering since I don't have any blues, but they keep coming out if it is charcoal?

No problem Mandy,

I only know of 2 that are working on blue, but they are still early in on them. Now I'm not sure what all Jerry did with his so it may be possible he had some going. Yep like you were saying, you have to have a blue parent to get blues, so if they arent blue, it could well be. All my barred so far have been just normal black barred, nothing odd here. Now in my d'anver, I do have some super dark one in both blue and dun. An untrained eye would swear they were black, but they arent. Maybe with the barred effect on the over all color it may be hiding the tell tale areas to look for in those dark ones...that's all I can think of...though my blue and dun barred d'anvers are pretty obvious...

will be curious here to see what you end up with on them too

Well, I put the rooster over some ginger hens too and it looks like blue gingers came out.. I don't quite understand it.. This is the rooster, but he is not blue as far as I know. Of course the barring would make it hard to tell.. I will see if I can get some updated photos..

Ginger chicks are barred, but look blue also..

Last edited:
Ok, these are all from the barred rooster's pen.. The parents don't have any blue on them and I don't know where this came from..

this is a pullet that is blue barred or charcoal barred.. It can't according to the rules of genetics be blue.. Maybe it has a cream gene that is diluting the black? IS that possible... There is a black chick in front of it for comparison..

Pic of blue barred ohiki (left) standing next to a blue phoenix (right)

Here is a blue red ohiki chick from the same batch.. or charcoal red? I don't know what is going on with them. Pretty though..

Back
Top Bottom