Ohiki Chicken Thread

Quote:
It is not that someone is being judged as unfit or unworthy it is that we all that are working with the Ohiki are trying to protect the breed from people that do not care about what they have. Ohiki are a very rare breed as everyone knows so if we do not care for them the way we do they will be mixed with all other birds and lose the Ohiki for ever. The thing is if we see that someone is truly in it for the long hall and is looking to help care for the breed the way they need it we will try to get that person some Ohiki. There has been times that someone will get birds and just let them run in the yard and something will kill them and they come back asking for more of them! THAT IS WHY WE DO NOT LET THE BREED GO TO JUST ANYONE!

Well, if its not just anyone then who? I am not trying to be sarcastic.honestly I asked politely about the birds and was honest that I knew I would never be a "breeder"and I know you are afraid of impurities,but have you ever heard of that thing called life? Things do happen beyond your control.good or bad. I consider myself a good stuard of my birds.my are behind electric fences, but if the power went out because some drunk hit a power pole and the neighbors pitbull got loose and got through that fence then that means I don't care? I looked at your website and you have beautiful birds but and I really do wish you well with them, but if they become intangable to people I afraid its gonna be a few of you sitting around by yourself watching your chickens by yourself. Let me repeat I do not mean to offend you but what gets across on the message you relay is look but go away..........

Mine are behine electric also and you are right things do happin but the people that do not care is the reson we work like this! The other reson why I do not give them to people is if you are looking for just 2 or 3 that is not helping the breed much at all. We do not have much to work with here in the US so when some gets Ohiki it needs to be someone that can help work with the birds. Some do care about what they have I do know that but is what everyone needs to think about is what can they do to help the Ohiki! Everyone just is thinking I wont Ohiki and not thinking about what is needed to help them.

well,
I consider myself a good friend of Toni-Maries, she has helped me immensely over the past few years. She is the founder of the ohiki in this country. With out her , her imports, and her continued work with the breed, well, there would be absolutely NONE here anyway, period. She is not a big people person either (her words to me) and the ohiki are her babies, literally. Now that being said, maybe we have a better understanding of the actual breed and the breeder in question. She is not obligated to sell to anyone, and actually will only give to ones that she has personally seen is willing to put forth the FULL effort to continue her work with them. As for the beginner longatil enthusiast, she and most will prefer you start with something like phoenix or sumatras. Get your feet wet with those, and over a couple years, show your dedication to the breeds.
Continue to ask questions, ask for a copy of her book so you can learn more on them (yes she wrote the book on longtailed fowl she;s not a back yard breeder she a longtailed fowl conservationist would be the best description of her )
All this being said, sorry, but if she doesnt know you pretty much it aint gonna happen on the ohiki, can you blame her, shoot no. She does want to see the breed be spread to more hands though, she has told me that. But it must be to those she feels confident about in their desire and ability to properly care for them.
God only knows how many countless hours of time, and thousands of dollars she has in HER project. YES HER project, like I said, these are her birds, she's solely responsible for them being here.
So lets not be so quick to get mad about no e-mail replies, get on her forum and talk there, I guarantee you she'll reply.

And lets all remember this is a very special breed, in the longtailed world, to me they are second only to the true onagdori. They arent a back yard bird or for hobbiest JUST YET. One of her threads talks about how sensitive they are to being kept on ground, going on to say after 1 1/2- 2 years they tend to drop dead and that off the ground pens would seem to be a better way to go with them. Stuff like this is what you need to check into before hand. Do some heavy research and learn all you can on them.They need time to build the US flocks up and she's quite capable of doing that on her own. So be patient, they'll be available sooner or later
wink.png

Quote:
THANK YOU! That is what we are trying to get throw to everyone! Toni, Chris and myself and a few more throwout the US are trying to get the Ohiki where they need to be before people get them just for pets. Like Boggy Bottom Bantams said they arent a back yard bird or for hobbiest JUST YET.

Last edited:
The feed is not that hard to mix. I do it every day and have a full time job. Toni has done very good to get most of the Ohiki in the US were you can give them some corn but not alot. I feed mine some corn. But there are some Ohiki lines that can not have any corn at all. I think trying Phoenix 1st. is the best way to go for anyone and then if you think you can work with the Ohiki then try to get some then.

Chuck Huffman

I personally LOVE Toni-Marie to pieces. She is willing to help anyone who is "serious". I have raised longtails for 19 yrs now and All longtails are special breeds that require more work than others and extreme dedication if you want to take the time to better the breed. That means learning what the standard is (in japan if they don't have one here) and breeding toward that. I personally love onagadori, however, I have spent years perfecting the birds to get them to conform back to the japanese standard and reconstruct a breed that is very rare indeed. OHIKI are no exception. I personally went the cochin/phoenix route. Anyhow, Just wanted to post a ohiki drawing.
70005_ohikicopy.jpg

very nice indeed.

And yes Chuck, she is a full blown artist. I saw the ones she did for Toni Last time I was at her house a few weeks ago, like I said in another forum, they look way better in person than and computer can do for them.

And Amanda, that was well said too. In my boat, the ohiki and onagadori go hand in hand where dedicated care givers and keepers are concerned. Though they have different requirements, they both need super dedicated keepers to work with them.

That is so true! The Ohiki does need a lot of dedication to help them to keep going. I sold all of the other breeds that I had just so I could work with the Ohiki. Toni has done a lot for the breed! As she is the one that got them in to the US. I spoke to her on the phone the other week and she is so happy with how good they are doing and how many people are dedicating there time to work with the Ohiki.

That is some very nice work Amanda! Would you draw one for me? Send me a PM if so.

Back
Top Bottom