Ohiki Chicken Thread

Im not speaking for people but this is what it think. Breeders want people that are going to be 100% devoted to the breed, People like Toni Marie have spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars importing those birds. They want someone who is going to put the effort they put into them, back into the breed. I can't imagine how much work goes into making their feed.

Main feed ration-
oats 75 lbs

bean meal 7.5

Profit Blend 7.5
(by Hubbard)
or other vitamin / protein (44%) mix

fish meal 5

soy oil 3

calcium 2.5

kelp 2

vit A, D, E 1.25

= 103.75 Lbs

approx 19% protein

Store dry and feed moist so the powders will adhere to the larger solids for easier consumption.

Cooked mix-
2 cups of brown rice
2 cups of rolled oats
12 eggs
3 fillets of frozen pollock or whiting (raw)
2 cups of greens; dandelions, spinach, or romaine lettuce (raw)
2 cups fruit; blueberries, cranberries, elderberries, or anything else safe for birds that is high in nutrition and antioxidants and low in sugar and starch, leave raw.

I cook the rice until it's nearly done, then add the oats since they don't take as long. Then I hard boil the eggs. In a blender or food processor purret the eggs shell and all (for calcium) along with the raw fish, fruit, and greens. I then hand mix the raw purret blend with the cooked brown rice and oats. This mix is mostly liquid. I cook up a large quantity and freeze it so that I don't have to cook two days a week for them.

My feeding schedule is as follows-
4 days of the week they get the main ration. They fast one day of the week. On the day each before and after fast they get the cooked mix. This cleanses their bodies and better simulates a healthy wild-type diet. I also give my birds one black vinegar capsule once a week. It's a blood detoxifier. The capsules are made in Okinawa and distributed in the US by Swanson Vitamin Company.

And then they need to have a shelter that allows them to grow their tails to maximum length.

People who own breeds such as Ohikis give their genetics out to people who are going to help the breed, and it's not just someone saying "Yes i want to help and improve the breed" the people actually have to believe it.

I hope you understand.​

I got seperate coops for my birds an I can keep the layin hens away from the other coop I have heat lamps in the pens. are they special diets for the breed that is diff from the reg? thanks Bob

Quote:
And then they need to have a shelter that allows them to grow their tails to maximum length.

People who own breeds such as Ohikis give their genetics out to people who are going to help the breed, and it's not just someone saying "Yes i want to help and improve the breed" the people actually have to believe it. I understand.but you have also told me more in this one paragraph than I received from anyone else concerning the breed.sometimes I get the same from araucana breeders. The project is about birds,but don't forget the human element.not everyone wants to destroy your work.a simple response to my inquiry would have sufficed, total silence was rude.

I hope you understand.

I will pm you

Last edited:
Like i said earlier, if anyone wants to start a look alike project let me know as i plan on starting it this spring and would love to have a project partner.

thank you celetic hill for the ohikiki chickens or eggs this spring I know theya rehard to get of thanks Bob

Quote:
Actually it would greatly benefit a breed if it was only in the hands of a select few deicated breeders. That keeps from everyone trying to mass produce them and their quality going down the chute, very much like how BLR Wyandottes, BC Marans, probably Seramas, and probably the way all these Lav Orps and Coronation and Light Sussex are going to go, everyone trys to mass produce them and sell them and dont breed for quality, just the general color or trait the birds is known for and end up losing it too.

Any I would say those few longtail breeders are NOT in it for the money by any means. Most of them, especially Toni Marie, would rather give birds to someone they know will breed them right than sell them to a random person who doesnt know how to keep the breed. Like last year Toni Marie gave me my two Red Pyle Phoenix roosters and some phoenix eggs for just the cost of shipping after I had talked to her several times before on the phone and via email and exspressed my interest in the the longtail breeds and the respect for the way she breeds them. So people like her are in it for the love of their birds, Not the money.

Back
Top Bottom