Ohiki Chicken Thread

Pics
Quote:
You are too kind.. Just got off the phone with Toni.. She explained that that was the roo of of onag.net.. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!! Got some great stock to work with.

Quote:
Why don't you start making some with the D'Anver's?................then we can have different gene pools to trade from............Toni and I are doing that.............................................................chrisf

Hoping to have my own line with the millie cochin/phoenix crosses. Can't wait to breed back to ohiki now...

Quote:
Why don't you start making some with the D'Anver's?................then we can have different gene pools to trade from............Toni and I are doing that.............................................................chrisf

Had the thought go threw my head Chris. Been wanting to get started on a millie phoenix line. Wasnt how sure the d'anver would screw them up type wise, but shouldnt be nothing a little time and selection couldnt correct. So most likely will set up a pen for them both this spring for phoenix and ohiki millies. Lord knows I've made plenty of d'anver colors to work with, Think I'm up to 30 now in them and counting with about 15-20 more projects in various stages. Like I told Toni and Amanda, I'm a color addict.

So...there aint but one way to find out right.

One of the blues I made last year....................................................................chrisf
5439_100mediaimag0995.jpg

If anyone is planing to use Phoenix in with the Ohiki be very careful! Phoenix can mess up the Ohiki very bad. The only reason that I say that is Phoenix feathering is not the same as that of the Ohiki. The feathering is not as soft as that of the Ohiki and the tail feathers are wider. I would use Cochin for color and just work back to type from that. If you use Phoenix you would need to work on more to get back to type. You also need to look at the legs of the Phoenix...they are very long and would be hard to get out of them as if you would use Cochin the legs are short. Plus Cochin has a shape that is very close to the Ohiki.

Quote:
I agree on the feathering, but I usually have more onagadori type feathering which is very soft and the roosters feathers are very thin and limp.. almost ribbon like.. not more than 1/2 inch wide.. and then I believe Toni said you breed the 1/2 offspring back to the ohiki again.. to shorten the legs..? I think the thin feathers would not take away from the tail as my phoenix like this are very limp feathered but there is still the leg issue.. I see your point..

"IF" you do use another long-tail make sure it's a non-molter like bird like Manderz said with the soft limp feathers...If you dont it's hard to get them back to type like Chuck was saying also .... I only check in here every now and then....you guys are some of the best breeders in the nation so you can GIT ER Done.....LOL.....Nice birds Chuck....TM

Back
Top Bottom