Ohiki Chicken Thread

Pics
Quote:
?

smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks Chuck,
That means a lot to me! Those all hatched last night. These were still from the entire collection Toni gave me, and are all barred chicks, so the flytie birds were the obvious daddy to these... should help give me a good start on the barred ohiki now with those. Depending on which of the 2 males did it, one is 1/2 ohiki already, 1 is 1/2 phoenix if I remember correctly .
If the ohiki boy is the dad, these should be 3/4 already. I'm hoping this is the case, he seems to be the dominate male from those two any way. All the chicks are very short shanked already too,one of them is just a foot on a thigh, so fingers crossed that's what happened.

Next weekends hatch should all be from planned birds. Will be those 2 good shojo males over all the hens.
The 5 chicks Toni gave me with a broody hen are almost 3/4 grown now too and doing great.

That's good Aubrey! Love the barred color as it is my 2nd. favorite color right after Crele. I got a few more barred chicks also they are about 1/3 grown. Although one of them is starting to Crele up a little which is even better.
big_smile.png
If I am right that one should have came from that BBred male that I sent you. I used that male allot in my Crele project right with his brother and dad.

I just set about 20 barred/crele eggs last night! from my fly tie/Ohiki rooster and a real nice clean barred hen from Toni. Should be a big step forward for my barred birds..

Yes she does have some very nice birds.She is knowledgeable about long-tail birds....And I trust she will do well by the Ohiki she has....God bless...Toni-Marie

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if anyone here in America has focused on crossing multiple feathered japanese bantams with nonmolting phoenix to make ohiki type birds? Just a thought.. Japanese bantams can have extra feathering also so I figure it would be a pretty good cross.. Of course having birds that are already ohiki type is probably the quickest route, but if you did not have any I think it would be good. I made f1 phoenix/ millie fleur cochin crosses last year, but the slow feathering of cochins really effected tail growth in the f1..

Last edited:
Sure they can....The only diff is the Ohiki dont have the creeper gene that Regular chabo have. So you can breed short to short with no dead chicks in the shell... To get the type it would take a cochin or other full round feathered bird.But sure it can be done...People dont want to work that hard Mandy they want everything handed to them already made or "little" effort...TM Oh yes.../Your web pages are coming along very well also...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom