OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

I lost power at 6:30pm sat and didn't get it to 9:30 Sunday morning. Lost about a dozen chicks from my brooders, we hook up my incubator to the battery in my moms car through the window. Wasn't a good time. Ten minutes after my dad had hook up a brand new generator, the power came back on, but we have it now for next time

Bought a generator off Craigslist a few years ago for that very reason, that and to keep the sump pump operational. Have only had to use it once, it kept the incubator humming in a dry basement.

We had one, but it was never maintained and wouldn't turn on, last time we used it was back with the hurricane windstorm that had knocked out power for a week. That was a while ago.

Hey there! Euclid Ohio Chicken Lady here! Anyone else from Euclid know how to obtain a chicken farming license from the county health department. I keep looking for info online and found a phone number that's a total dead end. These people never answer the phone or return my calls! It's like they don't want me to have my chickens!

Hey there! Euclid Ohio Chicken Lady here! Anyone else from Euclid know how to obtain a chicken farming license from the county health department. I keep looking for info online and found a phone number that's a total dead end. These people never answer the phone or return my calls! It's like they don't want me to have my chickens!

Hi Bawk2the Future
I have never heard of a chance chicken farming license. I contacted the OHio USDA to sell eggs off site. They are located in Columbus

yeah, unfortunately here in cuyahoga county its been illegal to keep any kind of livestock up until 2007 when they launched a new program allowing 5 Euclid residents to keep chickens. Than after that they opened it up to everyone when they saw that the city wouldnt become a huge filth pit and drive away residents etc...
but now they require you get a license every two years and they send out an inspector yearly.

I lost power at 6:30pm sat and didn't get it to 9:30 Sunday morning. Lost about a dozen chicks from my brooders, we hook up my incubator to the battery in my moms car through the window. Wasn't a good time. Ten minutes after my dad had hook up a brand new generator, the power came back on, but we have it now for next time

I'm sorry to hear you lost those chicks :-(

We had one, but it was never maintained and wouldn't turn on, last time we used it was back with the hurricane windstorm that had knocked out power for a week. That was a while ago.

Yes, I remember hurricane Ike well, Sept. of 08. Lost several trees in that one, two of which fell on my wife's van and my truck I had only had a couple months, totaled them both.

I was thinking the other day when I ran the snow blower out of gas for summer storage that I should drain, and put some fresh stabilized gas in the generator and fire it up for a bit. I try to do that every spring.

I think it's a city thing. The Dept of Ag certs I have is for selling eggs and processing. Maybe I don't understand though? Oh, and Cuyahoga County never had a county ban on chickens. Different story cities did, and Cleveland still won't allow roosters in city limits...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom