OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

:welcome Geauga County here. Tell us about your flock.

West side here Lorain County! Just learning getting started. Raising pheonix for sale and now have two fair turkeys and a frw other fir birds. Fun! What do you have?

So clearly I need to check in more often!

I don't have anything...yet. I'm still looking for a coop that I like, so any recommendations for where you got yours I would love to hear. I've looked at a few pre-made coops at TSC and a local place here, but I really don't like the quality. There is one place, KT Barns, that looks good but they are a little far. I know exactly what I want, I just need to find someone who can build it. Trust me -- I'm not that person LOL.

Planning on 4-6 hens, I'm researching breeds now.

So back to coops, whatcha got and where did you get it?

You’re not to far from me.
Depending on how many chickens you plan on having will determine the coop you get. Always double what you think you need. Chicken math is real!

If you have plans in mind contacting some local Amish might be the way to go. I think a premade shed can easily be converted. There is an Alpine Structures outlet on 322 by Aquilla Rd. That’s 40 min from you??? Roughly.

A quick glance at their website and I might look into KT Barns!

Generally premade coops are poor quality and too small. I know my birds don’t come out with snow on the ground. I can open the door...the just refuse to go by that scary white stuff. So unless you have a partially covered/enclosed run I would recommend having enough space in the coop for possible prolonged stays.

The coop section here on BYC is extensive and full of ideas. So look around and see what you like. Then you can always ask questions to see how well it will work for your area.

Thank you! I know I want a raised coop, and a larger run than I think I need. Someone recommended this place: https://overezchickencoop.com/ The medium one looks about perfect, and they have huge runs which I will need. No free range for my girls. Not only do we have foxes, coyote, raccoons, and possum...we have a pair of nesting hawks and a peregrine falcon in our yard! So they will be well secured in a run during the day and locked up at night. I might let them into the garden when I'm working in there. It will be fenced and I don't think a predatory bird will go after them if I'm standing right there?

I have 15 birds in a 12’ x 12’ building. They were starting to get a little stir crazy after a few months of confinement.

Why off the ground? I’m just curious. Mine is off the ground and it’s blocked off so the chickens can’t get under it. They were laying eggs under it. This winter I put tarps up to try and block the wind and snow from blowing under it. For me it was more of a hassle. New coop for me will be on the ground.

From what I've read/been told, if it's off the ground it can help keep predators out, and they can go underneath if it's raining and for whatever reason they don't want to go inside. But I'm open to suggestions!

With 12' x 12' I'd have to army crawl under it to retrieve eggs If they laid them under there. LOL
Where my coop is the wind blows right up a hill and under it. I'm always worried about how much cold that lets into the coop.

Here's the coop I'm going to get I think. It's raised a little but not enough for them to get under. I'm only going to have 4-6 chickens, but have room for 1-2 more if needed. Damn chicken math! They have pretty awesome runs too. I can probably put some insulation underneath and block it off in the winter.

Attachments

• Artist-Medium-OverEZ-Chicken-Coop-Spec.jpg.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
Here's the coop I'm going to get I think. It's raised a little but not enough for them to get under. I'm only going to have 4-6 chickens, but have room for 1-2 more if needed. Damn chicken math! They have pretty awesome runs too. I can probably put some insulation underneath and block it off in the winter.
Sounds like you have a solid plan. If it would ever stop snowing here you could actually get started! :D

Back
Top Bottom