1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by twincreekfarm, Jul 25, 2007.

1. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hey fellow buckeyes. I am in Lorain county, up here on lake Erie. So, does anyone know of anyone in Ohio that breeds bantam cochins? I am looking for a barred rock bantam cochin pullet. I don't want to have to order a slew of birds trying to get what I want. Thanks

2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    4h chicken mom try meyer hatchery
    http://www.meyerhatchery.com/get_item_dobc_barred-cochins-straight-run.htm

not too far from you, but dont know if they have a minimum if you pick up at hatchery, it could be a roadtrip

Or you might go to Lorain county fair and see if anyone there has some for sale, they used to have a preatty good amount of birds then again haven't been in 20+years

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  3. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hi Chicknmania,

I live just outside of Columbus on the far west side (near Franklin/Madison county lines), and about two miles from my house there's a certified organic farm owned by a very nice man who I met at our farmers' market. He charges $3.50/dozen for his eggs, but again, that's here in Columbus (major metropolitan area can probably get away with higher prices). Wild Oats also charges roughly the same price for a dozen Organic Valley eggs.

GO BUCKS! Football season is just around the corner!!!!! [​IMG]

Amy

1 person likes this.
  4. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hey Lexustami,

You're from St. Clairsville? I've shown my dogs at the fairgrounds in St. Clairsville many times, and a couple years ago I judged there as well! Small world!

Amy

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Thanks mdbucks. I have ordered from Meyer before. They have good birds. They just don't sex bantams and I am afraid I could order a dozen and they would all be roos. with my luck. I will check at the fair this year.

6. Markp1964

Markp1964 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2007
    Im just north-east of Columbus, In Westerville.
    Have not gotten hens yet-still making sure its legal with the zoning people and checking out sources for birds and everything else.
    If any backyard hen keepers are close by, I'd like to hear from you!!

1 person likes this.
  7. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Hello. Any of you Ohio folks want to make a short presentation about chickenstock 2008? We need a rep to present our plan at an APA meeting. Any takers?

8. laursink

laursink New Egg

Sep 6, 2007
    Hi All...
    I am in Marion County near Green Camp.
    We have 14 or so Guineas and 27 or so Chickens! But none of my birds are laying right now. We had a flock of 25 guineas...lost quite a few to the coons...all of my hens! So we have re-stocked from Ridgeway also!

9. aliena614

aliena614 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yeah!! More Buckeyes! Im about 10 min from OSU's campus!!! Yes im known as the "CRAZY CHICKEN LADY" by all of the neighbors! But the great thing is they all like eggs! We are also Ridgewayers too:D

2 people like this.
  10. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I live in Grand Rapids ohio, about 45 min west of Toledo. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by