OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Gosh! I haven't been on here for awhile and there is no way that I can get caught up on all of the activity! I hope that everyone is doing fantastic and that all the flocks are doing great
yippiechickie.gif

I have an abundance of BQ/SQ Silkie cockerels available if anyone is interested. Buy one for $10 and get one free! All are either black or Partridge. Super handsome boys, I just have too many of them. A couple of them are pictured...Oh! I am in the Marengo area, just north of Columbus. Just shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Everyone going to Ohio Nationals in November? I can barely wait!!

Zoey87 I didn't see a answer to your questions but I shall try to answer ya. Not all girls will lay every day, some do some dont. It just depends on the bird s how I see it. I have 19 girls who have just started laying and only 5 I think lay one a day so far unless they throw a double yoke then one skips a day. Also as they are fairly new to laying I think it takes awhile for their systems to get running smoothly. I hope this helps and I am not an expert by far but I am going by what I have read and seen having my girls for over a year now.

Just realized while checking my calendar that the Dayton Fancy Feather club fall swap is this Sunday morning at the Preble county fairgrounds in Eaton. Usually a better grade of birds available here than most swaps. This swap starts at daylight and is winding down by early afternoon.

Hi,

I acquired a group of ameraucana's on Sunday. How soon do you think they would "chill out" and start laying again?

Thanks,

Cam

Hey all! Maybe this is not the right place for this, and if not I apologize. But I have been somewhat frantically looking for a puppy. I've searched classifieds, Craigslist, Facebook, local feed stores, etc, all to no avail. But it occured to me this morning that there might be no better place to find a chicken-friendly pup than right here on my favorite forum. I am looking for an aussie, a pyreneese, a border collie, or similar breed (preferably not a heeler), can be mixed...something that I can hopefully train to help me work the chooks a bit. I do not want to spend a ton of money on a puppy. I am not looking for a breeder or a show dog. I just want a friend. I live in Ross county (South-Central Ohio). If anyone has anything, knows anything, or just wants to tell me to take my puppy pleas elsewhere, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Hi! I'm a pretty new member with very little chicken knowledge, but dogs, now you're barking up my tree! I don't have any specific dogs, but some suggestions for places to look. I know you said puppy, but don't neglect looking at adults, you might even get lucky and find one already used to chickens. 1.Contact rescue groups. Both for the breeds you are interested in and ones that do all breeds. Explain what you need/ want. Even if they have nothing, they may know someone you can contact who does. (And yes they often get pups too) Some groups are more helpful than others, so don't give up. 2. Call the akc breed clubs for the breeds you are interested in. They will let you know what good breeders in your area might have pups. You'd be amazed at the reasonable prices some ask for their pet quality ones. If they are quality breeders they are in it for the dogs/ and the breed, not the $. I got my Malamute from a breeder in MI. A bit of a road trip, and a tiny bit more than the ones in the classifieds, but, (knock on wood) have had her 10 yrs and have never needed anything but vaccines.( My firs one (poorly bred) ended up costing me tons in extra medical bills with her thyroid condition, and allergies!) 3. Get friendly with a good shelter in your area. Get to know someone who can call you if the right dog happens in. Many great dogs get handed over due to the economy, older people unable to keep them, etc. 4. Attend dog events. Shows, agility,herding trials, flyball competitions (flyball breeders mix breeds for specific needs of that sport, and often have plenty of "leftover" pups that are,great but not what they need. Often border collie &small terrier mixes) etc. Talk to people there, it's a good bet someone will have a friend of a friend. ... These are my suggestions. With a bit of legwork, I'm sure you will find the perfect fit! Good luck! And I'll keep my ears open for ya.

I went to our local shelter the last time I was looking for a dog. They didn't have any that interested me but they had a bulletin to post lost and found dogs. There was a found dog that interested me so I called to let them know I would be interested if the owner was not found. They had found the owner but happened to breed a similar breed and had a female to retire. I paid to have her spayed and then she came home with me. I've had her about 7 years now.
I also know our local humane society doesn't have a building and has to foster all their animals so they often turn away surrenders. I'm sure they would be more than happy to hold on to someone's info who was actually looking for a dog.
Just some ideas for you.

Back
Top Bottom