OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

I must be getting old.... I thought that read I am a lonely chick looking for a boxing companion.....

Shew! Best get my specs on lol!
lol.png

Well I have done 2 hatches so far and have only a 25% hatch ration.

The first hatch I did not expect much because I do want any other man would do the first time. Turn brooder on and throw in eggs. The next day the T stat was red lined at 120 degrees. So I turned it down and got it to the recommended 99.5. A few days later I decided to finish reading the instructions and found out that the channels in the bottom of the brooder was for water to keep humidity in the brooder. I did one thing right. I did have the plugs in the brooder.

The second time I thought we did everything right. The eggs we put in were warm eggs. How long they were exposed to freezing temps before a hen sat down on them and warm them up is unknown.

I have the $50 styrofoam brooder with the automatic turner. Any pointers besides the fact that I'm a man would be appreciated.

Thanks

A little bit more information is needed. You never said what the humidity was. Did eggs pip or only the 25% that hatched? I am male and understand the male condition. Do you know how to candle? Did you candle? Do you know what lockdown is? Did you raise the humidity during lockdown?

A little bit more information is needed. You never said what the humidity was. Did eggs pip or only the 25% that hatched? I am male and understand the male condition. Do you know how to candle? Did you candle? Do you know what lockdown is? Did you raise the humidity during lockdown?

The ones that piped all hatched.

No I did not candle. Never have but I have read up on how to doit.

I'm assuming lockdown is day 18 til hatch. There is no humidistat with this bator. Although I have an old humidor that has one. I could use that.

Thanks

The ones that piped all hatched.

No I did not candle. Never have but I have read up on how to doit.

I'm assuming lockdown is day 18 til hatch. There is no humidistat with this bator. Although I have an old humidor that has one. I could use that.

Thanks

I had trouble with mine last winter because the humidity was way too low. I could fill all channels and put a sponge in and couldn't get the humidity out of the 40's.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method

That is the method I use.

We actually just moved to the area. We currently don't have any chickens. But we are hoping to build a coop here soon. And then we will get some here shortly! Yes we are neighbors!!! We live on 61!

We actually just moved to the area. We currently don't have any chickens. But we are hoping to build a coop here soon. And then we will get some here shortly! Yes we are neighbors!!! We live on 61!

I'm on the corner of TR 21 and CR 170. Do you have any kids in school? If you're on 61, you're right up the road from Masons and they do a lot of work with 4-H.

Do you know what kind of chickens you're interested in? I'm hoping to hatch out some Buckeyes and some Buckeye X Barred Rocks if I can get anyone to start laying.

I'm also on 61! Okay...party time! C'mon Rick/Marengoite! I'm sensing a Morrow County social in the very near future!
wee.gif

I'm just north of Fulton before you get to 529...west side of the road...white fence...

I have silkies and showgirls if you are ever interested in those sweet fluffy butts. Keep us posted on your progress!

Back
Top Bottom