OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

So happy our chicks have taken to the water nipple system we put in their brooder yesterday! Really no training, they just discovered it and started using it. Once I see that each one has used it I'll take the big waterer out of there.

Hubs is wanting to get 6 more chicks from TSC so we'll definitely start them out on that in a different brooder. I'm thinking turkeys tho! LOL

Got the nipples super cheap on eBay and installation was really easy. Didn't even have to mess with silicone. We are using a repurposed coffee creamer bottle. I'm sure I'll have to fill it up several times a day but that's better than dumping out poop and bedding water all the time.

Anyone else using a water nipple system? Any experience in getting older fowl to use it?

I use a couple of 5 gallon buckets with 4 nipples each, and also a 5 gallon with PVC and about 20 nipples in that one. Adults will discover it just fine.

So happy our chicks have taken to the water nipple system we put in their brooder yesterday! Really no training, they just discovered it and started using it. Once I see that each one has used it I'll take the big waterer out of there.

Hubs is wanting to get 6 more chicks from TSC so we'll definitely start them out on that in a different brooder. I'm thinking turkeys tho! LOL

Got the nipples super cheap on eBay and installation was really easy. Didn't even have to mess with silicone. We are using a repurposed coffee creamer bottle. I'm sure I'll have to fill it up several times a day but that's better than dumping out poop and bedding water all the time.

Anyone else using a water nipple system? Any experience in getting older fowl to use it?

Wow never thought about doing that in the brooder. Great idea!

Hello from nw Ohio! I am glad your using te nipples and having good success. My chickens have been on them for a year and it is amazing. I also have 4 ducks so when they are inside the coop they use the nipples and no more baby pool water splashing all over making a huge mucky mess!!! Good luck! I saw a you tub video about feeding in a similar fashion where the chickens he to peck and a handful of grain would fall into a plate. Just enough I eat without a big mess and it keeps any rodents out. Think I might try to make it this year.

I use nipples too for the hens inside the coop but have recently put the old waterer out in the run. They do seem to prefer to drink from the basin but it sure did get the shavings all wet.

Silly hen...

It was hot and sunny here today. She laid an egg and was setting up a nice cozy nest. She spent a good long time wandering in the woods looking for a place. I was just glad it was right at the edge and I saw her rustling or I would have thought she was gone! Lol.

Let my hen and her 8 chicks out in the run with the other hens. The chicks are 6 days old. One of the hens grabbed a chick by the leg. Mom went crazy and took the chicks back in the coop to their area behind chicken wire. The chick is ok but it was scarey! Will try again tomorrow if it stays warm.

I just put my 3 week old sizzles in with my 4 and 5 week old showgirls and silkies. The one of my sizzles thought it way hot stuff for awhile but the silkies are two times the size and put it in its place. They have been in the same brooder separated for 2 days now. Before that I had the sizzles in isolation to make sure they were healthy. Everything calmed down. My older chickens were out playing in the yard so we put the babies in their run ( we are making a much bigger coop for all the babies). Ill post the picture of the older ones looking at the chicks. It was funny.

Back
Top Bottom