OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

just makes you another chicken addict
lau.gif
. of course me saying that is a lot like the pot calling the kettle black.

I seriously swear that I did not order these, but the post office called this morning to say my chicks had arrived and should come pick them up. WHAT CHICKS? I don't order chicks through the mail. I always drive to the hatchery and pick them up personally. Less stress for the little things. So I thought she was just confused and meant my EGGS had arrived. Nope, just picked up 9 live chicks. That I did not order. All teeny tiny bantams. Which I currently have zero of and require a bit of special attention. Just wanted to say good-bye to everyone, as my DH is, at this very moment, plotting my demise I'm sure.

I do remember placing an order about 6 months ago from MPC for bantams, but cancelled almost immediately and got my money back, as I didn't think bantams would fit in with my game plan. I guess they forgot to cancel my order? Wow. I am totally freaked out at this moment. Thank goodness I have an extra brooder set up for weak chicks that I can use for these, since my other brooder is FULL. Also good, is that they are all females, so I might be able to get rid of them, if I decide to take that route.

The main problem is that I have never had bantams, never had silkies, never had frizzles, and that is what these all are. Which means cute beyond my wildest dreams. I am in soooo much trouble.

Just got my first Rhodebar egg!!!
wee.gif
Whee!!!!

Sorry I haven't been on much at all -- it seems no matter how much I do these days I am always behind! Drives me crazy. CrazyChick, be careful! Silkies will steal your heart :)

Just got my first Rhodebar egg!!!
wee.gif
Whee!!!!

Sorry I haven't been on much at all -- it seems no matter how much I do these days I am always behind! Drives me crazy. CrazyChick, be careful! Silkies will steal your heart :)

You mean you have a RIR/Barred rock cross egg? Cooly!
D.gif
Oh, I'm about 18 miles east of you.

Terry

Last edited:
Well, actually, it's a RIR/brussbar cross but basically the same general idea :) The big advantage with the Rhodebars is they breed true -- you don't have to cross-breed every generation to get the autosexing. They're wonderful birds! I have a heck of a time deciding on my favorite breed of chicken but they're definitely way up there.

And
frow.gif
from Mansfield!

Last edited:
You mean you have a RIR/Barred rock cross egg? Cooly!
D.gif
Oh, I'm about 18 miles east of you.

Terry
a true rhodebar is bred from rhode island red and brussbar. brussbars are a nearly extinct English breed with less than 20 known survivors today. several people have tried to recreate them from rhode island red crossed with barred Plymouth rocks, but they aren't the same. the type is wrong and feather patterns wont match to the standard.

Oh hey, LOB (dang it, I always type that wrong!), I found a lady in Canada that's been working on recreating brussbars -- still can't find anyone in the US.

Last edited:
Oh hey, LOB (dang it, I always type that wrong!), I found a lady in Canada that's been working on recreating brussbars -- still can't find anyone in the US.
ive been looking into it, but there are a lot of issues with recreation. im just waiting on the cobthorn trust to let some go. the brown Sussex that was used in the original brussbar cross is extinct or has had something bred into it for genetic diversity. greenfire imported some of them but their breasts are all wrong. ive put out several feelers for them with no luck so far. an acquaintance from BYC has been trying to help me find the right genes.

I will have these if I have to fly to England and pick them up myself.
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom