OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Thanks for the tip. The only Rural King I know of in our area is in Marion and I don't really understand what a co-op is. I'll check the bulletin board at TSC when we stop in next time. Craigslist might have something too.

I've been using aspen bedding. I get tired of picking it out of the lionheads' fur and I get worried when the chickens peck at it. If I get angora rabbits I really won't want them on aspen.

My husband told me today that there is a farmer outside of Delaware that sometimes sells straw so we'll check there. Thanks
smile.png

Well looks like I'm the only crazy chicken lady in Fulton county (or at least one that out about it) because all the 4-h kids (parents mainly) have been contacting me to take their chickens off their hands! How can you resist free and super cheap chickens?!? Especially ones that are almost at POL! I wish I could give every one of those kids the price they deserve for their bird but the relief on the parents face says enough. So far 3 Colombian Wyandotts, 2 silver laced Wyandotts, 3 silkies all hens. Ugh need. More. Coop space! Plus I have 4 in the bathroom brooder, 2 two week olds in the brooder outside, and 48 eggs in the bator. What too do what too do. Anyone need chickens?

I live a few miles from Fulton County and an curious as to why they want to get rid of the chickens. I can understand wanting to get rid of roosters but the more egg layers, the better, IMO.

For most 4-H projects they have to start fresh with new birds every spring, so unless they intend to over-winter the birds & hatch from those birds come spring, they are selling them off. Most 4-H kids only keep their project animals as long as needed & start over fresh in spring.

Most of the 4-H kids have separate small hutches just for their 4-H birds. A lot don't have any other birds at all. My cousins have done 4-H poultry for years & only have birds from about April to Sept. Everything goes at the end of fair & nothing gets wintered over. There are many 4-H kids who do it this way. They don't want the hassle of winter care. They just want the credit for the project.

Back
Top Bottom