OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

While we are on the topic of roosters, I just have one quick question. What is your experience with bantam roosters? We'll be ordering some new chicks to start our flock over with in the spring and we wanted some bantams for show plus their just fun to have around. You have to order them straight run though so I'm sure we'll be getting a roo or two. I would like to keep at least one roo for breeding purposes but I'd just like to know a little more about their personalities. And if it helps,we are ordering Black Cochin bantams and Buckeye bantams, so these would be the possible breed that we could get a roo from. And also, what if we got one Buckeye roo and one BC roo....would it be okay to keep them both with the ladies (should be around 12 other LF and bantie ladies) or would that be too many roos for the ladies? We also have two other large poultry cages in the barn and a smaller coop that we could put the roos in with no other ladies. Would you just suggest keeping them all separate? I look forward to yalls opinion! :)

I have 4 bantam Cochin roosters :) (and 5 large fowl roosters lol) all our roosters are very nice and kid safe too. But keep in mind I don't have hatchery birds and I put a lot of emphasis on breeding and selecting for good personalities. I'm not sure if your new birds are coming from a hatchery or an individual.
I have not had good luck with hatchery males- bantams or large fowl. I believe that's because those places are breeding to meet numbers and personality is not really a priority in those situations. Also, if you're planning to show and you're buying from a hatchery, those birds are not bred to Standard of Perfection and will not be show quality.

Usually if males are raised from chicks together they can live together as adults without too much trouble. There will be a dominant male and he will chase the other away from his space and his hens so overmating may not be an issue but it depends on their personalities. Your bantam males will probably not be able to successfully breed your large fowl hens but it sure won't stop them from trying lol
1f604.png

You may decide eventually you want to keep them in separate groups if you think you might like to hatch chicks :)

I have 4 bantam Cochin roosters :) (and 5 large fowl roosters lol) all our roosters are very nice and kid safe too. But keep in mind I don't have hatchery birds and I put a lot of emphasis on breeding and selecting for good personalities. I'm not sure if your new birds are coming from a hatchery or an individual.
I have not had good luck with hatchery males- bantams or large fowl. I believe that's because those places are breeding to meet numbers and personality is not really a priority in those situations. Also, if you're planning to show and you're buying from a hatchery, those birds are not bred to Standard of Perfection and will not be show quality.

Usually if males are raised from chicks together they can live together as adults without too much trouble. There will be a dominant male and he will chase the other away from his space and his hens so overmating may not be an issue but it depends on their personalities. Your bantam males will probably not be able to successfully breed your large fowl hens but it sure won't stop them from trying lol
1f604.png

You may decide eventually you want to keep them in separate groups if you think you might like to hatch chicks :)

Thank you for all of this! We are getting them from Eagles Nest Poultry....they are supposed to have show quality bantams, but it's possible they aren't. They have been recommended to us by some other people, one who shows, so we thought it might be okay. :) Again, thank you! :D
New here and 1 week into raising chicks in Columbus. We have 4 chicks.

Welcome to the Ohio thread! What breed(s) are your new fuzzy friends?

Thank you for all of this! We are getting them from Eagles Nest Poultry....they are supposed to have show quality bantams, but it's possible they aren't. They have been recommended to us by some other people, one who shows, so we thought it might be okay. :) Again, thank you! :D
Welcome to the Ohio thread! What breed(s) are your new fuzzy friends?

Always good to find a well recommended source! Sounds like you should have a nice group of bantams :)

Well, if I'm correct about the 4 we have left, we have a black australorp, barred rock, silver laced Wyandotte, and gold laced Wyandotte. We lost a chick less than a day after getting them home, and I think she was our Dominique.

Hi, a Canton person and first time (hopefully soon) chicken owner here. Anyone else finding owning meat birds and getting them butchered to be a real pain to do in ohio without driving a zillion miles?
you should be able to find a place not to far from ya'll. Ive found folks in Wooster:)

Back
Top Bottom